Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
nana

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by nana » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 am

does anyone know where a person can find big handles on seam rippers and rotary cutters and ect. i broke my wrist and having problems hanging on to the small handles thanks

auntjana

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by auntjana » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:25 pm

I have been looking at this post for several days - and hoped that someone would know for you -

The only one that I know that has a large handle on it for a seam ripper - is the one that Fons and Porter sells - the handle is a larger grip that is supposed to easy to use and not hurt your hand or wrist. I have one - but do not notice any difference as my hand doesn't hurt to use either one.

Good luck
Jana

mamaw

Post by mamaw » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

I agree, the Fons and Porter is very easy on the hands.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 am

Have your ever watched El use her rotary cutter to take seams out.
she moves very carefully, but she gets it done very acturatly.
Some people use a very good pair of scissors open in the hand, and it works quite well. I have used a large one sided blade and it has to be done carefully. I have also used my cutter that has a large
handle on it, but again it has to be used carefully. A cutter that I use is really for opening boxes or cutting dry wall apart. But, I have used it. Good luck. I know for cutting material, I have gone
to using the suction handled that I push on, while I cut material.
Works great. Happy Healing!:) :)

chili

Post by chili » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 pm

clover has a large handled seam ripper :O) that is what mine is and i have a fiskars cutter that has quite a large handle.....
hope this helps
blessings

Texas

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

I took the advice on here I am a beginner, more like a baby in quilting and have problems with tiny stuff both with my hands and eyesight, so I got a good ergonomic seam ripper from Hancocks it is big and I use it ALOT! Hope it helps.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

I have the Fons & Porter seam ripper. I never have to use it so I can't tell you much about it....ROFLOL LOL LOL

Sometimes I use an eyebrow razor - you can buy them at WalMart or the pharmacy. It's a blade but not as big and awkward as a rotary cutter.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”