Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thread Question

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Sweetonion

Thread Question

Post by Sweetonion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 am

I am definitly new to quilting, as I do machine embroidery. But, I've decided to try a log cabin (crib size) quilt as my first. My question is what type of thread do most of you use for the actual piecing of the quilt. Cotton, poly, rayon ??? Thank you for your help.

gramajojo

Re: Thread Question

Post by gramajojo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 am

Welcome. I usually use cotton and I usually buy it from Connecting Threads. I don't think it leaves a lot of lint and I like the price.

Jo

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am

Welcome Onion!!

When piecing I use a 50 wt. thread. Cotton, poly or blend. I don't think I would use rayon as I would think the iron might not like it. I have never used it so don't really know. The others work great. Some thread does create more lint than others so you have to clean your machine more often. Hope this helps.

Sue

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 am

I too use a cotton thread to piece with - I have used Guitterman(sp) and Connecting Threads - they both work well.

I do machine embroidery too and the rayon threads for that are too fine to piece with.

I also use just a neutral color when I piece - I don't try to match the colors in the quilt fabric as usually I have too many to choose from! So I use a gray with my darker fabrics and a cream for my lighter ones. If the fabric is more white - I use that.

I do add my embroidery work in the blocks too - it is great!

Join us often

Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:48 am

Welcome, I use Guitterman's white on almost all my piecing, I love how it works and I get the large one usually 1/2 off at JoAnn's for $4 something so it goes a long way. Hope this helps :o)
Tina

mic-pa

Post by mic-pa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 am

when piecing a quilt I use Gutterman in colors that blend. You can never match the colors to your quilt as there are too many different colors. I use beige, light lavender (yes it blends well with most colors) or gray. the only time I use black or white thread is if the quilt is mainly either of those colors. I too, emb. with rayon threads.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:13 pm

I use 50 wt. cotton thread mostly in a Cream/Natural color. I have Gray, Black and White thread also. I used King Tut variegated thread on my Cat Quilt for the Quilting and it looked great. The Cream color works good for most all piecing.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:52 pm

I use cotton because the quilt is cotton and feel they should be the same....Connecting Threads is reasonably priced.....I have over 100 spool of it and never have a problem....

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”