Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

9 1/2 inch square up ruler

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
hutchfarm

9 1/2 inch square up ruler

Post by hutchfarm » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

Are there any instructions for the 9 1/2 inch square up ruler? I looked under patterns and found instructions for the rulers for all but what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

auntjana

Re: 9 1/2 inch square up ruler

Post by auntjana » Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't know if any instructions came with that ruler -

but here are a few simple ways to use it -

To square up a block - take the diagonal line that runs through the ruler and lay it so it goes corner to corner and slide the ruler so it is close to the size you are trying to square up to - this should give you some excess on two adjacent sides - trim to the ruler - now turn the block around - 180 degrees and again line up the diagonal corner to corner - but now make sure the block size is lined up on the sides that you just trimmed. This will leave some excess on the untrimmed sides and you can trim them off and your block will be square. This will work on any block size up to the 9 1/2 inches.

The key to squaring is that diagonal line running through the middle of the block - make sure that you are as close to the absolute center as possible in each direction.

Also be sure that you have pressed the block before you try to square it up - you can really pull it out of square by pressing. In turn, if it is not quite big enough - you can steam the block as you press and tug it gently bigger if needed.

Good luck -
Jana

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sun May 29, 2011 5:04 am

I'm pretty sure that there are no directions that come with the 9 1/2" Square Up Ruler - or any of the Square Up rulers - but Jana has given you EXCELLENT directions!

You will probably also see directions in the pattern you are using when it asks you to 'square up' the block.

hutchfarm

Post by hutchfarm » Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 am

Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question :) Have a great Memorial Day and may God bless our soldiers and their families.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”