Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Spray Basting

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
piecemaker1

Spray Basting

Post by piecemaker1 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 am

Recently I bought a can of Spray Basting from JoAnn's. I used it to sandwich three small quilts. It worked like a dream holding the sandwich together. However, as I was browsing in the Superior booth in Paducah, I mentioned this to the lady manning the booth. She warned me that she personally knew a lady who had suffered some kind of immune disease, and it has been attributed to the fumes from the Spray Basting mist. She also said that she knew of two quilters who had died from the same disease that her friend is now battling. Has anyone heard any of this information?? I tried to google about it, but nothing comes us.

auntjana

Re: Spray Basting

Post by auntjana » Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 am

I have never heard of this either - I have been using spray basting for my quilts and embroidery for many years.

I have no ill effects from it - but I am careful to do it in a well ventilated room. My husband is a model railroader and paints - so any chemical used in this house is done with ventilation.

I think that this may be one of those urban myths that gets blown out of whack - I would be judicious in how I used any chemical - if you are really concerned - they have masks that filter out the air-borne particulites that would cause problems. Look in the tool sections at home improvement stores for them. There are many kinds

Good luck
Jana

gramajojo

Post by gramajojo » Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 am

I, too, have used it for years and have no ill effects. Like Jana said, use in a ventilated area and you shouldn't have any problems. I use KK2000 if that makes any difference.

Jo

piecemaker1

Post by piecemaker1 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks Jana, very good suggestion.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”