Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Which brand of Quilting Thread do you prefer?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
TooMuchFabric

Which brand of Quilting Thread do you prefer?

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm

I have had difficulty with some brands of thread not sewing well. My machine is on a frame. Thread is so expensive that I hate to purchase without some guidance and information. What brand(s)do you prefer?

Thank you.

xteacher

Re: Which brand of Quilting Thread do you prefer?

Post by xteacher » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:52 am

It really doesn't matter what WE prefer, if your machine doesn't like it. If you can borrow some from friends or acquaintances or purchase the smallest spool you can to try on your machine first, then order larger cones.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree with Karon -

My machine only likes and I do mean only - King Tut thread - so that is what I use - I tried several other threads and that one is the only one that works. I use the same thread in the top and the bobbin too.

So borrow from someone and see what works in yours

Good luck
Jana

gramajojo

Post by gramajojo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 am

I use Essential cotton thread from Connecting Threads. I have never had a problem with it. You might try some of that.

Jo

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Thank you for your input. I will continue using the brand I like and experiment with smaller spools of other brands.

Update: The local shop has just begun carrying one of the brands that works well for me. Hooray!!!

wildquilter

Post by wildquilter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm

I also use Essential thread from Connecting Threads. I like King Tut also. It is a little expensive & I just use it for custom quilts. I have a Bailey's Mid arm & it works the best with 50/3 cotton thread.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 am

Have you found the Essential thread causes a lot of lint?

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:46 pm

my HQ16 has not had a problem with any thread I have tried so far....I have over a hundred spool of Essential and although it makes a lot of lint,,,,It quilts great. I also bought Connecting threads quilting cones and they work well too.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Maybe we should have a thread swap so we can all try different threads ...Just kidding.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”