Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Rotary Cutter

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
MissSongbird

Rotary Cutter

Post by MissSongbird » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:14 pm

I just read something about the levels of quilting skill. And the advanced beginner said the they would know how to use a rotary cutter.

My question is why is a rotary cutter so important? I own a rotary cutter, but I find I can cut better and straighter with a pair of scissors. Why are they so essential to quilting?

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Rotary Cutter

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

they didn't have rotary cutters in the 1800's and made beautiful quilts....

my first quilt I used scissors and templates, it turned out fine... I do love my rotary cutter and use it most all the time when cutting fabric... and have put sand paper dots on my rulers to get them not to move while cutting...

it's really a matter of choice... I have seen a quilt you made and it was so cool... I wouldn't worry too much about what a magazine tells you you need, you seem to have the knack....

chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 am

Like Chriss said - they made beautiful quilts in the early days!

But I am one that likes accuracy - and you can achieve that with the rotary cutter - it speeds up your cutting time and makes it so you can mass cut several layers fabric accurately - I find that templates have a tendency to loose there shape after a few tracings - BUT - there are times that you have to use a template -

If you are afraid of slipping and cutting yourself - get one of those Klutz gloves - they are made with fabric that stops the blade from cutting through to you.

Also, Invisigrip helps your rulers from sliding - it creates a little more friction on your fabric - so when you hold down the ruler - it tends not to slip and move as much - these both might help you.

Jana

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks guys.

I don't like using it because it doesn't seem to work for me. My rotary cutter can barely cut through one layer. It will cut some parts and not others, making me have to go back and re-cut making the edges all jagged.

Flystitch

Post by Flystitch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

Miss Songbird. Sounds like your cutter could do with a new blade.!!

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm

I haven't really used it that much though...only a few times.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 am

here are a few things I have learned.....

sometimes you get a crummy blade and it needs to be replaced....

if you buy a multi pack of blades its very easy to grab two instead of one... make sure you only have one...

try turning your blade over and see if that helps.....

sometimes it helps me to remove the blade and clean up the cutter... lint gets trapped in it and makes it wonky sometimes.

and... here is the thing I didn't think of till someone at my LQS mentioned it.... they do wear out... the screw thing that holds the blade on does wear out...

Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

gramajojo

Post by gramajojo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am

also, make sure you don't have 2 blades in there. I know it sounds silly but I put a new blade in one time, and I tried and tried and tried to cut, but with the same results as MissSongBird. Then I saw a show with Alex Anderson where she described the exact same thing and come to find out she had accidentally picked up 2 blades and put them in. So, I took my cutter apart and what did I find? 2 blades. They seem to be so thin that if you aren't paying really close attention, you could pick up 2 and not realize it. After you take one out, it cuts like a breeze.

Jo

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 am

I will have to check about having 2 blades in it. They (or maybe I) may have stored an extra blade in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll reply back with the outcome once I try that.

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 am

Ok, so I looked at my rotary cutter and there is only one blade in it. I'm going to go buy some remanents to practice on and maybe buy a new blade for it if I have to.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”