Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

iron advice

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
rancherwoman

iron advice

Post by rancherwoman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:24 am

My Black and Decker iron has started leaking after 4 years. I understand that this probably can't be fixed, so seems it's time for a new one. Does anyone have any advice on a good model/brand? I'd like a stainless steel plate and variable steam, and longevity!

purrfect-lady

Re: iron advice

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:42 am

Rancherwoman, I bought a Shark at Costco and after 6 months it shorted out and the handle started to actually melt in my hand! I took it back and costco gave me a full refund. I love Rewentas but thought I'd try less expensive. I'm back to Rowenta and happy again.

We've had discussions on irons in the past. I brought one thread back to the top for you, but for some reason, the other one, on page 4 of the Notions section wouldn't come to the top. But you may be interested in going to read it.

Good luck choosing!
Mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:08 am

I am spoiled with my Oliso iron - I love it as I don't have to remember to stand it up - it is the one with the feet and hasn't given me a bit of trouble - on the other hand I bought one for DD and it did leak - but was still under warranty and they replaced it with no hassle.

They have the variable steam and a stainless soleplate -

Jana

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:22 pm

I must be very hard on irons because no matter how much or how little I pay for them they usually last about a year before they start to leak, so I buy one in Wal-Mart for about $20.00. Works for me.

pamv

Post by pamv » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:29 pm

I have a Reliable and it lives up to its name. The steam is perfect every time. AUto shut off that you can turn off. Maintains even heat. 2 steam settings and the steaming stops when the iron stops. I've had Rownetas that spit and leak and also steam problems with Oliso. This is the best iron I have owned.......ever.

toekeyotow

Post by toekeyotow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 am

I bought my Rowenta professional about 8 years ago and it works like a dream. Shuts of automatically and never spits or sputters. Love my Rowenta.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”