Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

A machine for me

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
MissSongbird

A machine for me

Post by MissSongbird » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 am

I'm thinking about getting a new machine.

Right now, I have a Euro Pro 605D. It's a good machine, but it is very tempermental. If it doesn't get it's way, it won't work. It also has a hard time sewing through thicker fabrics and such. It's also supposed to have a bunch of different stitches, but when you use them they all end up looking like the same one.

The question is, how do I go about looking for a new machine?

auntjana

Re: A machine for me

Post by auntjana » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:56 am

Best advice - you will get what you pay for - I personally would stay away from the cheap machines at KMart and Walmart - the Singer Brand - not what they used to be - when there's not alot of money around - go to a local dealer and see what he has on sale and what someone may have traded in - many will trade in a newer machine just because they want one the latest one and you can get a good deal from the dealer.

I just spent time sewing at QIAD on a Babylock and it was a very nice machine - but I am partial to PFaff machines - I have had 2 sewing machines from Pfaff and the first lasted over 25 years and I am on the second one and love it! I also have had two sergers that are Pfaff and both are running great.

So look around and see what suits you best - in sewing and price
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 am

Jana is right about getting what you pay for.. my first machine was under a hundred dollars from Sears.. ugh... it will work in a pinch but it is awful...

the machine I have been using for a few years is a Singer I bought it from a dealer...

My dealer was in a very small town and the machine I bought was the floor model from the previous year... I bought it in January... he also threw in a travel case with wheels and lots of feet....

most importantly it came with a class that taught me to use each foot and how do do a lot of different things..

I did learn that with Singer the higher the number on the machine the more it will do...

let us know what you come up with.
Psalm 91

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 am

First off, decide on your budget and stick to it. Go to a reputable dealer and have him show you everything in your price range, ask what is on sale, then ask what used machines he has. You need a reputable dealer and one with the service dept. Everyone has their own preference as to the make of their machines. You need to test drive every one of them. Don't let the salesperson test drive the machine - you do it yourself so you can see if you like whirr and hummmm of each machine. I traded in a Janome 6600P for the new Horizon. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my 6600, it was only 2 years old, and I had taken it in for it's regular annual maintenance so whoever has bought that machine is getting a great one. What I'm saying is that there is some great used machine deals to be had. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm

And decide what features you want in a machine. Will you want embroidery capability? Will decorative stitches suffice? Know what you want and don't let anyone talk you into buying more.

And when I bought mine, I wanted the 1/4" foot thrown into the deal. I told them it was a deal-maker or breaker. Their choice. Also, I got quotes from different dealers. You may find a dealer who is willing to beat your best quote.

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks for the help. I'll keep a list of everything you guys have said, plus all my needs for a machine, so I can go and find exactly what I need.

Flystitch

Post by Flystitch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 am

Make sure they let you try it as well. Take some bits of different fabrics with you, you may want to use a machine for other purposes, not necessarily quilting and you need to know it will sew well on other than cotton.

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:34 pm

I got a Brother Duetta and it does beautifully. Goes over thick fabric and even lets me know when my bobbin is running out. It is very easy. It also does embroidery but I haven't tried that very much. My daughter also got a Brother and loves it.

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 pm

I also should have said that I would not get any machine that is not sold within a reasonable distance from you. For the purpose of any help and maintenance.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”