Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

I don't think I'll ever have to buy thread again!

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
karpet

I don't think I'll ever have to buy thread again!

Post by karpet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:08 am

I am mostly a frugal quilter and do most of my sewing with white or black cone thread just because it lasts so long. This summer I bought a shoe box of cone thread for $1 and was very excited except that it was all colored so I'll have to match it up with my fabrics better. There was a cone in there that was much bigger than anything I've purchased before. Then this past weekend I found 4 more cones for 50 cents each that dwarf my other big cone. All were in color which will be good, but I am close to running out of my white thread. Wouldn't you know, I came across another box of cone thread, all off-white and pearl, and yes, with an even bigger cone! (I never knew they made cones this big!) I will probably never have to buy thread again! (I have never come across thread at sales before so it was a real surprise to find 2 lots in the same day!)
Karlene

mic-pa

Re: I don't think I'll ever have to buy thread again!

Post by mic-pa » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:32 am

when making quilts I never use white thread unless the fabric is white. With all the differnet colors in a quilt no way can you always use the same color thread. So I use beige, lavender (it blends very well with other colors) and grey. You are lucky to have found so much thread at a decent price

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 pm

How cool to find all that thread!! You are truly lucky!!

Just a thought, pull on the thread..to make sure it isn't brittle from age or dry heat. If it is brittle or breaks easily, stick it in the freezer..it will put moisture back in it and will be fine!

Joanne

grannyjean

Post by grannyjean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 pm

You can never own too much thread!!!!!!!!

karpet

Post by karpet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:12 am

I do use mostly white for all my quilting, but especially for piecing, except when piecing very dark fabrics. Colored thread does work better with FMQ though.

I did test the strength of the thread and it is stable and sturdy. I love that idea with the freezer though, thanks! (Is that why they used to say to put your pantyhose in the freezer to extend their wear?) Having come out of Colorado with its very dry climate to upstate New York - it is hard to believe that anything coming from this area would be lacking moisture! But I guess it is all relative - I hear friends talking about getting their humidifiers going while we run our dehumidifier year round!

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:52 am

I use a cream color thread mostly. I did use Variegated threads in my Cat quilt. Looks nice. I like those for some quilts.

Kicksie

Post by Kicksie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Thread big subject I bought my embroidery machine and the thread will now outlast my granddaughters sewing.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 pm

A lifetime bargain! Your my kind of shopper!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Shop info: When transit by the sewing manufacturing plants, I'll stop to speak with manager & ask if he has any leftover spools to spare so I can make myself something for Xmas.. Usually get a few bolts, there full with thread. Some are defaults, but work great for quilting scrap quilts and basting.

I'm amazed how I managed to get freebies, this way I can save for books I find at markets on Eleanor Books, and tools.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”