Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

BLEACHED MUSLIN FOR QUILTING?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
morgans4

BLEACHED MUSLIN FOR QUILTING?

Post by morgans4 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 am

I have several things I want to make before Christmas and many require white fabric so I decided to buy an entire bolt. I ended up with bleached muslin, then started thinking that it may not be the best choice for making quilts.
What do you all think? Is 100% cotton bleached muslin good enough or should I take it back and get something else?

Marilynsgrammy

Re: BLEACHED MUSLIN FOR QUILTING?

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:17 am

Personally I think muslin is kind of thin... I do have some but use it rarely...

for plain white I really like the Kona cotton.. it comes in many colors including white....you can find it at JoAnns, often on sale and it's nice to sew on.

but that's just me...
Psalm 91

lucieshouses

Post by lucieshouses » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 am

Chriss, I agree, I like the Kona too. Isn't there a Kona muslin now?

Lucie

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm

I too find that muslin is somewhat light to use - but there are different weights of it. So if yours is on the heavier side - it does work well in quilts.

I like the Kona cottons as well and they do make a Kona Muslin that is a nice weight.

This is one fabric that I would definitely pre- wash - they do tend to shrink a lot

Jana

girl

Post by girl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:33 am

Morgans4,
Hi, I have bought both and use them for backing only. I did find some 200% and just love using it as well. Happy Quilting

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”