Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

needles for tying quilts

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
TooMuchFabric

needles for tying quilts

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:43 pm

What kind of needles do you use for tying quilts? Our quilt guild has some large eyed needles that are wonderful but I can't find any anywhere. Most places use the hook needles but these are straight with large eyes.

Thank you

Marilynsgrammy

Re: needles for tying quilts

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I use a long needle... you don't want the eye to be too big or you will need to yank it through the fabric.. and that might make a bit of a hole.

I have found many needles at JoAnns...I had to buy a set of needles and I think the one I use is for tapestry....I only use embroidery floss and it is six strands thick... I am not sure if yarn would fit in the needle because I haven't tried it... good luck
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm

I use those round needles that I guess are for upholstery. They work well for me.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:59 am

I have used the curved needles and my favorite are crewel embroidery needles that are long and have a large eye.

Another trick is to keep a balloon - un-blown - near by - when your needle gets stuck and hard to grab and pull through - put the balloon around the needle - it grabs and holds on so you can get it through.

lucieshouses

Post by lucieshouses » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

I too use the curved needle with 6 strands of embroidery floss, Lucie

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 pm

I've used the tapestry needle for the embroidery floss, like Marilynsgrammy..6 strands. And I've used yarn, too, but then I use a doll needle..

Joanne

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:23 am

Thank you for the help on the needles. I will see what I can find the next time I am out and about. Thanks again.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”