Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Marking Pencils

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
lucieshouses

Marking Pencils

Post by lucieshouses » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 am

I've just finished a small tablerunner and I'm planning how I want to quilt it. In the past I've used a cross hatch or stitch in the ditch.
I've seen many marking utencils and have a few but I wonder what you can recommend, Lucie

P.S. I've been practicing my free motion just in case.

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Marking Pencils

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:59 am

Lucie... the one I like is blue and is water soluable....I am not thrilled with the ones called "Mark be gone" but this one has blue stripes on the outside of the pin....

it does erase with water... and doesn't leave marks... I really like it....
Psalm 91

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 am

Lucie- I bought every marking pen I laid my eyes on at the Houston Quilt Festival. There must be at least 10 different ones in the bottom of my sewing box. I will let you know which one I like the best.

Chriss- I have used the one you mention and have had good results with the removal. I can't see it on dark fabrics so am looking for something for them. (I have a hard time with black fabrics)

I believe it was Joanne that said she uses soap slivers. I haven't tried those. They are on my list of things to try.

Good Luck..
Sue

lucieshouses

Post by lucieshouses » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Sue, yes please let me know. I've used those "chaco liners" and sometimes I can't remove the chalk...ugh! I also bought the "pouncer" and it's too light and it goes away if you rub it against something.

Thanks, Lucie

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree about the blue not showing up well on dark colors... I have looked for a white one so that it would show up....

I like the soap idea but it wouldn't turn corners as well as a pen... if you are tracing a circle you'd end up with an octogon..lol

the chaco liners I have only used on the back of fabric because it isn't easily erased....

this is a great discussion...I am looking forward to seeing what your recommendation is Sue....

Psalm 91

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I do use soap slivers alot, and black is almost impossible! lol! The Crayola Washable Markers are great..but don't show up on black. I've tried a million different pencils, chaco marker, etc. NONE work for me. So, for me, it's either the soap or the pouncer for black or any of the really dark colors.
I have used the two sided marker..purple on one end and blue on the other...one side washes out, and the other side the air dries it out. I really like that one when I mark the diagonal for HST.

Hopes this helps!

quiltertess

Post by quiltertess » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 am

Clover has a white marking pen that is great to use on darker fabrics. It may look like it doesn't work at first, however your markings will appear in a short time. It erases with water or with your iron.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:38 am

I use the Blue water soluble pencil to mark my quilts...it comes out easy just by lightly dabbing a damp cloth on it....I just have to sharpen the pencil often is all I don't like about it.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 am

I got something like soap slivers from El and all you have to do is run the iron over the marks and they disappear. I think she has them online. Wonderful stuff. I also tried my own soap slivers and the marks also went away by just running the hot iron over them.

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 am

Roxanne's white and silver. They go on easily, wash out without a mark. Don't have to press real hard, just need to keep them sharpened, which can be done in any kind of pencil sharpener.

Susan

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”