Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

505 Basting Spray

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Leatherboy

505 Basting Spray

Post by Leatherboy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi gang. This is my first post, but it sure won't be the last. I love the informative and supportive nature of this group!
I'm one of the growing numbers of men who've been biten by the quilting bug and I'd appreciate some advice with the 505 Basting Spray. Is it best to wash-away the residual basting spray once the quilt is completed, or is it safe to leave in the quilt indefinitely?
I'm making several quilts this summer which will eventually be Christmas presents, and am not sure if there will be off-gases, or fading in the fabric if I were to leave it for several months. I appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

purrfect-lady

Re: 505 Basting Spray

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 am

Hi, Leatherboy! Welcome to the forum! Somewhere around here we have several other men - and many husbands are also involved in sewing/quilting in one way or another. We even have a 7 yr old boy who is part of our group!

I use basting spray only when I do a wall hanging, and I don't wash those and I've never noticed any discoloration. That being said, I know some folks always wash their quilts as soon as they finish them, prior to giving them away, spray or no spray. Perhaps someone else will have a more definitive answer for you.

Have you checked out other areas of the forum? CHIT-CHAT is a section about all sorts of things, not just sewing. SEW-IN is a daily "Hi, how are you, here's what I'm doing today" coffee klatch type of post. Stop by and say 'hi'!

Mary Z

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 am

I use the 505 basting spray all the time...I don't like the other brands. But, I mostly make quilts..lap, full size and some quilted tablecloths....everything I make gets washed before I give it to someone. I haven't done wall hangings that I probably wouldn't wash so I can't really advise you about leaving the spray in the quilt, except that I believe that the label says it won't hurt the fabric. I guess you could test it on some fabric that you are using..but that would take forever!
Welcome to the forum!!

Joanne

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I just finished using the 505 spray for the first time and it worked great.

When I was done and trimmed off the excess from the top - I had some large pieces of fabric down the sides that pulled away just peachy - and I felt no sticky residue left on the fabric as I folded it up and saved it for a future project.

PamM

Post by PamM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 am

Welcome to both quilting and the site. I use a lot of starch when I put my quilts together, and I use 505 spray some, so I wash my work when I'm finished. Also, if I give them as gifts, I can never be sure who has allergies to what. Pam

nur5e

Post by nur5e » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:03 pm

where can i buy this 505 basting spray? marcia (nur5e)

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 am

I use the 505 spray all the time. I love it. I have both washed and not washed quilts after finishing them. The spray has done fine. I would stick with the 505 because other sprays may cost less but can gum up your machine. Good luck.

Suzette
Suzette

RV

Post by RV » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 am

I have just started quilting. I did find 505 basting spray listed with Walmart. This is the temporary variety. Is it ok or do we need a permanent spray for basting. Where do we get this 505 basting spray (permanent)?

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 am

Leatherboy welcome. I use 505 basting spray as well. I've left in on for over a year and haven't had any problems. I spray and then hang them in the closet until I quilt them. Lori
Lori 8-)

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:36 am

Glad I found this thread, for had it in mind for my Xmas gift and was pondering about the product info.. Never used basting spray ever..

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”