Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Buying an Iron?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
quilter_1012

Buying an Iron?

Post by quilter_1012 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:12 pm

My mom offered to buy me an iron for my birthday, which is on September 22.
I am wondering, what are some of the best features of an iron, and what is the best brand in your opinon?
How much do I want to budget? I am thinking if it is over 30 dollars, then I would pay half.
Where would be a good place to get it, and what do I want to watch out for? When I am at the store, what kind of questions do I want
to ask?
Is black and decker worth looking at?

cindyg

Re: Buying an Iron?

Post by cindyg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 pm

I like an iron with plenty of steam but one that won't leak and drip. I have not found that iron yet. Right now I have a Shark iron that I got at Walmart for around $30. When I pushed the extra steam button the first time I jumped out of my skin because it was so forceful - I love that feature. But it has started dripping and I've only had it a couple of months. I am so IRKED!!! I don't know what it is with me and irons.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 pm

I know that they are expensive - but I love my Oliso Iron - it takes getting use to not standing it up but that doesn't last long and it works beautifully. DD had a problem with the one we bought her for her BD and returned it to be repaired under warranty and they were very quick in fixing it and then returning it to her. Mine, I have had no problems.

Jana

GrandmaTaz

Post by GrandmaTaz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Cindy have you tried using the Crystal Springs water, not distilled or tap water. I have a new steam generator by Rowenta and I have a regular Rowenta. All my irons cheap or expensive have leaked or spit.
My Generator instructions say to use tap water, but if your iron leaks or spits to use the spring water instead of tap and not to use distilled. so now I use the Spring water in both of my irons and no dripping or spitting and you have to wait until they are completely warmed up or they will drip and spit. I buy the least expensive jugs of water 77 cents at Wally World.

We have terribly hard water in New Mexico with a lot of minerals in it.

Jeanne

memaquilter

Post by memaquilter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 pm

I just bought a new dry iron and I love it. I do a lot of fusing and the steam holes in the sole plate always left little dimples in my fused item. If it is a dry iron you are looking for, Vermont County Store is the place to go. The iron runs about $30. Hope this helps and good luck.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:31 am

Just my experiences with irons...almost all of them will spit or leak or pee all over after a while, when their innards get clogged with mineral deposits. Pretty much no matter what water you use, it is going to leave some deposits behind over the years, especially with frequent use.

I no longer put water inside the iron. I use a spray bottle if I need steam. I also keep a stack of men's white cotton handkerchiefs on hand to use as press cloths. They hold enough water to make heavy steam if I need it for fusing, but they are sheer enough that I can see through them to see what I'm doing.

Yeah, it means taking a moment to locate the spray bottle...having one in bright purple helps a lot...but it eliminated the iron peeing all over the place.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:57 am

Jeanne - Our water is very hard here. The water in our refrigerator is filtered so I started using that. I'm wondering if that's a good or bad thing since my 2 month old iron is already dripping - grrrr.

I guess I'll have to go to CaroleJ's solution and get myself a spray bottle. Darn - I love that big burst of steam!!!!

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:26 am

There is a new home iron on the market made by Reliable. It has a separate heating chamber so it can't leak or sputter. Here is review:

http://www.checkernewsletter.com/?p=170 ... om/?p=1702

I am getting the V100 model(I'm getting too old to not get what I think I want) that has the auto shut off override button.

.... By simply pushing a button you can leave it on - at the ready - until you turn it off or unplug it. This over-ride feature has to be engaged every time the iron is turned on so YOU can choose if you want to use it...

quilter_1012

Post by quilter_1012 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:14 pm

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:49 am

I like my Rowenta, but even it 'pees' some times. I thought I'd try a less expensive one a few years ago when my first Rowenta died after 15 years, and I bought a SHARK at Costco. I loved that at first, then it started leaking - more and more. Finally the handle started getting so hot that I had to let it go halfway through ironing a shirt. It finally began to melt! I took it back to Costco and got a full refun and went back to Rowenta. I'm happy again. I waited for a big sale at JoAnn's. mary z

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”