Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

X-Large Ironing Board

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
SueSwan

X-Large Ironing Board

Post by SueSwan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 pm

I have looked and looked for an over sized ironing board. I have struck out. Can't find one online at Amazon or anywhere I google ... any ideas ?

Thanks,
Sue

Cathy32078

Re: X-Large Ironing Board

Post by Cathy32078 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Sue,
You can make this yourself if you or you have someone that is handy with simple woodworking. Here is the website of the original Big Ironing Board. They are pricey but man they are so nice! So nice!

Hugs

https://bigboardenterprises.com/ '>http ... ises.com/

vagrandma

Post by vagrandma » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Sue.......this is what I came up with for my ironing area. I just took a board and padded it with cotton batt or flannel (can't remember which) and then I covered it with canvas. I'm thinking of covering it with the silver teflon fabric if I can find it. It works great for me.

Sandy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:51 pm

I too have a homemade ironing board - I covered mine with several layers of cotton batting then with cotton t-shirt fabric - its soft and stretched and made a tight cover which I thumb-tacked to the under side. It works great and when it gets too dirty/ugly, I just change the top cover. T-shirt fabric is 60 inches wide. I used a solid color - tan or white - then I was assured that nothing would transfer to what I was ironing. I even have a small one built the same way - 12 x 18 that I use right next to my machine. Great for pressing seams as I assemble blocks

Jana

DebbieLynn

Post by DebbieLynn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:02 pm

I have the homemade board also, thanks to my wonderful hubby!! I covoered it with batting then bought the teflon fabric by the yard at Joann's... It is wonderful and the price was right!!!

Debbie

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 am

I also have a home made board.. dh made a top, framed it and then made it so it fits snuggly on my regular iron board.. I can put it on or take it off... I don't have a lot of room so it isn't as wide as I like but it works.

Chriss
Psalm 91

SueSwan

Post by SueSwan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 am

Thanks for all the help ..... I have considered this, but was really hoping to get one ..... no ideas where those oversized ones can be bought ?

vagrandma

Post by vagrandma » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 am

Sue.....If you're looking for the "big board" here's their website.
https://bigboardenterprises.com/'>https ... rises.com/
Sandy

institcheswithrosie

Post by institcheswithrosie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 am

Nancy' Notions has one in their catalog. It is standard big board size, but instead of being an add on it has feet. Just put ironing boards in the search box on her catalog's website.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 am

Martha Stewart has directions on her website on how to make an oversized ironing board. Of course, her instructions call for some schmancy "English flannel" that is probably available from some obscure shop that's only open on alternate days and takes only cash...<rolling eyes Heavenward>.

I'm sure you could use Insul-Brite or several layers of cotton or wool batting and it would be fine.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”