Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What glove to wear while using a rotary cutter?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Loves2HandQuilt

What glove to wear while using a rotary cutter?

Post by Loves2HandQuilt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:08 am

Does anyone use a glove when they use a rotary cutter? After using a rotary cutter for many years with a few minor cuts, I took off the tip of my finger and the nail yesterday! I was using an old cutter and blade - I was cutting paper!

My DH suggested a glove - think I agree!

TooMuchFabric

Re: What glove to wear while using a rotary cutter?

Post by TooMuchFabric » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:35 am

Mary Ann always wears a glove on the Fons & Porter show so they probably have something available.

ctherrie

Post by ctherrie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

Ouch! Hope you heal well and get back to quilting. I know for a fact that Fons and Porter do sell them.

Carla

Loves2HandQuilt

Post by Loves2HandQuilt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Fons and Porter have a glove but I've read conflicting reviews. There are also meat cutter gloves that might work. I hope someone has used something so I can get a first hand account.

Jeanne

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm

My DH bought me the 'Klutz Glove' from Fons and Porter for Christmas. It is not like a regular glove. If you search for it online you have to put in "Klutz Glove", not "quilting glove". I like mine because I was always nicking the back of my right hand (the glove hand)after I had made the cut and was trying to move the fabric with the cutter still in my left hand. Now I don't nick myself anymore. The glove fits either hand. Unfortunately, they are not inexpensive, but I guess that is because they made out of a special flexible steel material that you can't cut through.

Linda

Loves2HandQuilt

Post by Loves2HandQuilt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Linda -
So the rotary cutter will really not cut the glove?

Thanks
Jeanne

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Well, now you made me go and actually try to cut my glove with the rotary cutter!! It would not cut! I'm not going to try scissors on it, though.

The glove looks like a tightly knitted glove with rubber dots all over it for gripping, yet it is flexible and strong. Just my 2 cents.

Linda

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 am

I have a Klutz Glove.....now if I can just remember to use it.

SueSwan

Post by SueSwan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:08 am

I cut my finger day before yesterday, my first one from a rotary cutter. I should have been wearing my Klutz Glove ... I have been wearing it since. Luckily it was a shallow cut, but let me tell you how sharp those blades are ... it was just a graze, yet there was plenty of blood. If you have the Klutz Glove, WEAR IT. If you don't have one, consider getting one. That is my 2 cents.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:17 am

SueSwan - you are so right. I will get mine out and keep it out so that it's handy for when I want to cut.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”