Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Martelli Rotary Cutter

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
xteacher

Re: Martelli Rotary Cutter

Post by xteacher » Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 am

I USED to use any brand. That was for a couple of years. Then, I started having that flat tire feeling (Ohhhh, I had one last night, read the other thread) I finally decided it had something to do with the notches. I thought they were wearing and dropping down over the bolt. So I hunted for one that was just round in the middle and thought that was working, but it happened again.

What I finally discovered after getting home from Paducah where I talked to the girl, was that the blade was actually CUTTING into the bolt about 1/16 of an inch so that I did indeed have a FLAT side. So now I DO NOT recommend just any brand. If, DH can find a bolt that will work as a replacement, I might be game to try again. Otherwise, I am going to see how the Martelli blade works. If that fails, I might check for another brand of ergonomic cutter.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Xteacher. I just put a new blade in yesterday. I only have one new one so I guess it's time to order. Don't want to be stuck with no blade when I need one.

celebrateoften

Post by celebrateoften » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:56 am

Hello -- What other brands of ergonomic cutters are there? I'm in Ethiopia (in Africa), and would like to find something less expensive -- though I do love my Martellis.

Also, are Martelli blades sharpenable using the same devices as the other blade brands? Has anyone tried to sharpen any blades using a person who sharpens blades, knives, etc?

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 pm

celebrateoften, I don't know what other ones are available. The only one I've seen is the Martelli. They always have a both at Nashville and Paducah and I had watched them demo it several times before I broke down and bought one. I was having a lot of problems with arthritis/tendonitis in my left wrist and couldn't stand the pressure of a regular cutter long enough to get anything done. I just bought a 60 mm one at Paducah to use for cutting through batting. I guess that no more batting than I cut, I could have used a different cutter, however, they are just as expensive. So I went for it.

Well, I just googled it and they say that Olfa makes one. I don't think it's shaped the same, but the grip is supposed to be better than the old ones. I don't know what would be available where you are.

ramonasct

Post by ramonasct » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 am

My blade just started feeling like it had a "flat tire" also, and wouldn''''t cut there at all. After reading about the blade cutting a groove into the screw, I thought I''''d check. Sure enough, there is a tiny (maybe 1 mm) groove cut into one side of the screw, maybe half-way around the screw. I have never had any blades other than Martelli in my rotary cutter and I have LOVED my Martelli rotary cutter, but I sure don''''t like this! I have probably only used 7-8 blades total since I''''ve had it.

Has Martelli replaced a grooved screw for anyone?

Thanks, Ramona in Mobile, AL

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 am

When you buy a product it usually comes with a 1-800 phone #, call it
and report the problem to the company, chances are they will stand by
their product and send you a new blade. You might have to mail them the old as evidence.. But least haven't lost all that money.

Worked for me everything we buy in Wpg have to put tog. always comes in a box, I hate to pay for things and you have to build them.. Of course they send the exact amt of screws/bolts with bad instructions it will pull tog incorrectly and have to pull apart, where screws break and need to get new..

Got 2 free printer, extra cube shelf, baby wheels, with broken part headed to hardware and bought what was missing so now have another set.. Muffin mix same idea, where a coupon for another box was sent free.. Always keep the 1-800 #//

REALTORQUILTS

Post by REALTORQUILTS » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 pm

I love my cutter. I won't use any other brand. I took one of the first cutters that they made to a show to make sure I got the correct replacement blades. While waiting I helped sell several cutters by telling everyone how great they were and they gave me a brand new newer version for free.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”