Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Which applique technique is best for a quilt that will be washed?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Granma2five

Which applique technique is best for a quilt that will be washed?

Post by Granma2five » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a lap quilt for hubby, where he designed his own 'boot block'. It's a Roy Roger's "Happy Trails" quilt using a variety of Kaufman fabs that came out 2 summers ago.

My question is this. Being brand new to applique, I'm 'assuming' that raw edge may NOT be the way to go for something that will be laundered, or am I incorrect? I'm trying to use El's method of using the fusible interfacing on each piece so there won't be any raw edges, but I'm finding that a bit difficult in computing the exact size of each piece. Since this is hubby's design, there is no pattern directions to go by.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Evie

Re: Which applique technique is best for a quilt that will be washed?

Post by Evie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Oh, forgot, just use your husbands drawing and draw on the fusible the exact shape of his drawing. After you sew the fusible to the fabric is when you cut it leaving a seam allowance. I just guess at the seam allowance and just cut. Once you turn all the pieces you can play with them and position them to your satisfaction. I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can come along and explain it better.

I'm sure it will be beautiful whatever method you decide on.

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:27 pm

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos27 ... _0_ALB.jpg

Hi Evie and all,

Here's the link to see this boot block that I'm working on. It is fused to the background and some of the inside stitching has been done. Unfortunately, I've already ruined two of the three blocks that I've done, resulting in ripping, sewing, ripping... You get the picture, so now you can see daylight through the background fabric where I've ripped it so much. That's one reason I feel the need to start over.

Thanks for your thoughts, Evie, much appreciated.

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Evie,

Forgot to tell you what a stunning RR block that is!! I love how you fussy cut the cardinal in the middle of the Dresden. All the varied greens are just gorgeous. Did you blind hem the outside of the points? I see your blanket stitch around the center, very nice!

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:03 am

Thanks for the compliment. I did the same stitch with the same thread around all the points. It was just green on green so it didn't show up.

I can't see your picture - I don't have the right permission.

Would love to see it so I can get an idea of what you're going through.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:59 am

Granma2five - that boot looks great. I couldn't see any of the rip-out you talked about. That's going to be a great quilt. Perfect fabric!

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:38 am

Hi Evie,

Hmm, cindyg was able to view it, and I don't know enough about "permissions", nor do I understand why one could see it and not another. If anyone can point me in the right direction here, I'll make sure it's see -able to all. Thanks.

Edited to add:

Oh, that's odd, even I just got the dreaded "Forbidden" screen. Hmm. I'll go check in with my Kodak gallery and see what I can do on this. Please be patient.

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:43 am

Granma2five, I can't open the pic. either. Would love to see it though.

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 am

Can you try adding it through the "insert image code" rather than the link?

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”