Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Fleece batting?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
HomespunMary

Fleece batting?

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:54 pm

Has anyone used fleece for batting? How did it work? Can you iron a quilt by using the "cotton heat setting" if you have used fleece for the batting, or will it melt or become all flat?

Evie

Re: Fleece batting?

Post by Evie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 am

I've used fleece for backing. Haven't tried ironing it though. It does have a tendency to stretch. I don't think I ever ironed a quilt after it was finished. Do you need to wash it and that's why you want to iron it? I would ask if it's a wall hanging but you wouldn't put fleece in a wall hanging.

If you really need to iron it, try a practice square first and see how it does. Be very careful not to stretch it, just press it. Let us know how it goes, we can all learn from each other's experiences.

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:22 am

Just remembered something else. What type of thread did you use to quilt with? That also makes a difference on the temperature setting on the iron. Some of the invisible threads will melt.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:02 am

I'm trying to imagine fleece. Not sure what you mean. The only fleece I'm familiar with is what comes off our sheep.

Oh...do you mean that real soft fleece that people use to make blankets, etc?

One track mind here.

I'm wondering about the stretch in it, and the weight. It would be interesting to know how it works. Sometimes we quilters are afraid to think "outside the box" because we have had so many rules preached to us. That's what I love about newbies....they just go for it.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 am

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:40 am

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”