Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Double layers of batting?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
HomespunMary

Double layers of batting?

Post by HomespunMary » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:23 am

Has anyone used double layers of cotton batting in a quilt, and spray basted it? Is the basting spray (I'm using 505) strong enough to make the two layers of batting stay together, or do they shift and move around?

moma_lolaham

Re: Double layers of batting?

Post by moma_lolaham » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:16 am

Many years ago I made a quilt for my son that had two layers of batting. At the time I thought i was using 1 layer, but found out it was doubled after I started quilting it. I thought that was a mistake--I didn't know you could double your batting. Right or wrong that quilt was very warm. I can't answer about the spray basting (I have never tried it). And at the time i made that quilt i didn't know what i was doing anyway.

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 am

I just made a quilt using minkee for the backing and flannel for the batting. I used the 505 spray. I sprayed the wrong side of the minkee, placed the flannel down and smoothed it out, sprayed the flannel, then smoothed down the pieced top. I would suggest spraying between the layers of batting. My quilt did not shift around on me and minkee is stretchy! I still used some curved safety pins to anchor it down but not as many as I would normally and I quilted on a regular sewing machine. It was a double sized quilt. Hope this answers your question.

You can see the back side of my quilt (or should I say my son's quilt) over in the photo section under "My Quilts". It's not puckered anywhere.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

I have not doubled in the whole quilt - but have doubled in parts of the quilt - for a texture thing - did not spray baste together the batting pretty much held together itself and was not difficult to quilt throug have done as many as 5 layers for texture in art qluilts worked great

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:46 am

I have doubled the batting on a quilt. I did not spray baste the batting, I really didn't have any problems. The batting just holds each other together.
Linda

Jasinta

Post by Jasinta » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 am

I wondered if you could use two layers of the cotton batting, and now with this forum I see that you can. Thank yo!u

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I too think I'll try the double layers. My main worry was that the basting spray may not hold the two layers of backing together, but I guess there's only one way to find out... :-)

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”