Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Hand applique and thread color

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
HomespunMary

Hand applique and thread color

Post by HomespunMary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Just the other day, I said I would never try applique, because it seemed both difficult and time consuming, but this should teach me to never say never: yesterday I got a new idea for the quilt I'm working on, and it actually involves a little bit of applique...:-)

So, I've now prepared the applique pieces, and was just going to hand stitch them onto the background fabric, when I realized I couldn't decide what color to use for the thread.

The applique pieces are mainly black, and the background fabric is creme and tan. Should I go with creme or black for the thread? I intend to do the stiches as invisible as possible, but obviously they will show a little bit anyway.

Those of you who have experience in appliqueing, how do you choose the thread color? Do you go with the color of the applique piece or the background?

Quiltcreator

Re: Hand applique and thread color

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:26 pm

You always try to match the thread color to the applique piece. The only place the thread should show is a tiny bit at the very edge of the applique; none shows on the background, so you want the thread to match the applique. And try silk thread - wonderful.

HomespunMary

Re: Hand applique and thread color

Post by HomespunMary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks, Quiltcreator! As it happens, the only silk thread I have at home is actually black, so that will be perfect then!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”