Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

the first step and I am already llost

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
IowaGal

the first step and I am already llost

Post by IowaGal » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:24 pm

This is applique and these are flower stems.

the cutting instruction is about 20" of 1 1/8 wide
This is what is confusing me
"Fold bias in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. stitch 1/4"seam. trim seam allowance to 1/8. Insert a bias press bar in tube and press seam to one side.

Question. What direction am i supposed to cut this? with the selvage, or what? (Bias ALWYS GETS ME CONFUSED) What the heck is a bias press bar??????

I usually use the interface/turn method, not the freezer paper method, which this book uses. Is there an alternative? I plan to satin stitch these stems.

Susie

Re: the first step and I am already llost

Post by Susie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:16 pm

IowaGal...At the top of this page on the right you will see "Search".
Click on that and type in bias. All previous discussions about cutting fabric on the bias will come up. I think one of them is actually called "Cutting Bias". I think this might help explain what you are asking. I think a bias press bar is just a little hard flat "stick" that you insert and somehow it helps you maybe turn your tube inside out....and/or it helps you press it neatly. Hope this helps...maybe someone else can say it better.
Susie

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:57 pm

You don't turn the tube inside out - you shift the seam to the back of the bias bar, still on the outside, so you can hide it underneath. The bias bar also helps you achieve a consistent width for your stem. Ask someone who has done Celtic applique to help explain this (ewequilt could help you, I think.) Cutting on the bias just means to cut your fabric at a 45 degree angle across the grain. It's not difficult. Any quilt shop will have the bias bars in stock. QIAD may even have them.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 am

http://www.celticquilts.com/shopping/page1.html
this page shows the bias bars.
Lori 8-)

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:24 am

I can't cut this n a 45, the yardage kit is cut on the grain, and I won't have enough for the other pieces this color was intended for. I think I will go tried and true fusible and forget it!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”