Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

interfacing machine applique

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
joann

interfacing machine applique

Post by joann » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:47 am

In my previous question, I found I had the wrong name of the quilt, it is actually Grandmother's Garden, not Grandmother's Flower Garden. However I'm still having problems with the "peeking interfacing". Just curious if anyone has used two pieces of the same fabric sown together for the applique piece, doing away with the interfacing completely? Perhaps with a small piece of interfacing to adhere the piece to the block until you get it stitched on. I really enjoy being able to press the piece onto the block, stand back and look and see if I like the placement. What type of stitch would you use to attach to the block? I have enough material to begin again. Please forgive all of my questions, but I'm new at this applique work. If I can figure it out, I'd like to post a picture of one of the completed blocks so you can see my problem. Although that may not be such as great idea!

joann

Re: interfacing machine applique

Post by joann » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:47 am

Posted the photo, but if I've messed something up, please accept my apology. This was a first photo attempt!

joann

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:59 am

Have you thought about using one of the fancy stitches on your machine, like the blanket stitch, put in thread to match and slowly go around each piece. I've done this and it hides the fusible. For a really old fashioned look, try black tread!

Someone else was taking about the wooden iron using it to push the top fabric more to the edge. I also press with my steam iron this way.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Joann, I've seen Eleanor use her wooden iron (you can't use your hot real iron or you'll glue your project to your ironing board) and she pushed the fabric over the edge of the interfacing. Of course hers were perfect. I'm going to try mine tonight. Oh, if you don't have a wooden iron try a wooden spoon or a metal spoon. Hope this helps.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi Joann,
I usually use an applique pressing sheet to iron my pieces. The fusibles does not stick to it and the "glue" remains on the fusible so you can press it to your background block. Take care to tuck the fusible under the fabric as you press. Also, you can "hide" small bits of fusible that peeks out by stitching around the perimeters of the piece.
Grandmother's Garden is one of the prettiest quilt patterns ever!

You go girl!

Linda

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”