Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

non quilting sewing advice please

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
IowaGal

non quilting sewing advice please

Post by IowaGal » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:50 am

My best friend asked me to cover a cushion for her hope chest. 45x15x2 with box/ cording. I did this before but it has been a long time ago. Any instructions easy to follow out there>

gardenquilter

Re: non quilting sewing advice please

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:11 am

I can tell you how I do it - and always have - I think it comes out looking pretty good and have gotten paying jobs to do the same

first get the thinest cording I can and I cut the strips for the cording so that when they are doubled with the cording inside and sewn I have 1/2" seam allowance left - I do not seam my strips but fold and overlap them and inch or so it reduces bulk

second I cut my flat pieces 1 inch larger all the way around to give a 1/2" seam allowance

third I sew my corded strips to the narrow side piece that goes around

fourth I sew one of the flat pieces on completly all the way around

fifth I sew the other flat piece on starting in the back and finishing in the back but leaving an opening for the cushion

sixth I trim/ clip the curves and turn

seventh I wrap the cushion in muslin makes it easier to go in the cover

eigth I put the cushion in and hand stitch the opening in the back shut

hope this makes sense

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:17 am

Yes it does. I just couldn't remember how I did it, and the fabric she wants to use is a breast cancer one, and she has a piece thet will be JUST big enough, but I don't have any room for a mistake!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:19 pm

I am sure you will do a great job. I know it is nerve racking to have just enough just remember measure 10 times and cut once ok not 10 times.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:27 pm

I want to make window seats for my dormers. Thankyou for the directions! I can quilt up a storm, but when it comes to home dec, I'm pathetic. Wish I know more about how to make things other than quilts. Amie

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:46 pm

quilterbee if you have to cut your foam I always mark it and use an electric knife it gives a clean cut

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:39 am

If you have a Joann's near by, I think they have a section with free project instructions. They have one that shows how to do that. Check the website, they might have it there. It's really easy. It just looks harder than it is.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”