Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Trapunto

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
QuiltLady57

Trapunto

Post by QuiltLady57 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:47 am

Does anyone here do trapunto? I've thought of using it to make some quilting pop but don't want to do it wrong. I'd appreciate any and all input. See, I've been quilting since '87 and don't know how to do trapunto yet!

Carin

Peaches

Re: Trapunto

Post by Peaches » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:37 am

Made a seashell quilt with trapunto years ago...and still have a few potholders. I used a simple Celtic design and ran yarn through the back. They turned out very nice as I did my stitching in ecru on brown fabric.
I've always wanted to do a whole cloth quilt with a clamshell design in trapunto, but not willing to take on that large of a project. It would make a nice accent strip or border on a more traditonal quilt.
I layered a very lightweight prewashed muslin under my top, stitched the design, then ran the yarn through the 1/4 in channels, leaving little "loops" of yarn on the back. Then added a thin cotton batt and traditional backing to the trapunto design and hand quilted it.
Like the look, but it was a lot of work.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:26 am

Best idea is go to you library and see if they have any of the updated books on trapunto. New methods for our times and easier to read and see their pictures than to explain here without pics.
Basically you can put your fabric and batting together, sew with washout thread, trim away the batting from the back, then add more batting and backing and sew with regular thread.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:48 am

I have done some - but look up Karen McTavish on line she is considered by many to be the queen of trapunto

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”