Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Need Advice...

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
ipquilter

Need Advice...

Post by ipquilter » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi y'all! I have finally finished the top of a huge bargello quilt. It is well over six feet long and five feet wide. Yes-really. The strips (a gozillion of them) finish out at 1/2 inch. It's taken me two years! Anyway, now I need to pick a backing fabric and decide what to use for batting. Here's where I need the advice...batting. This thing already weighs a ton and has an amazing number of seams. I will be quilting it with a Pfaff 360. Can I get by without batting? What about using just another layer of fabric-like a sheet? Any and all advice would be appreciated!!
Thanx, Sherry

Tiggersmom

Re: Need Advice...

Post by Tiggersmom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:25 pm

Sherry try Thermore batting, it's very thin, as it is used in quilted clothing and regular quilts.

Is this going to be a bed quilt that is used a lot?

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:48 pm

You could try Hobbs 100% wool. It's great stuff. Keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It has a bit of loft but is very lightweight. Drapes beautifully.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:49 pm

I would also recommend a thin cotton batting.

Please post a picture when you can. That pattern amazes me. Afraid to start it and get lost somewhere in the middle.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 am

my favorite choice is warm and natural it is 100% cotton and is quit thin. had a girlfriend once that used a summer blanket to do the one for her dh - she still has it and that was close to 30 years ago

my choice is warm and natural

notaquiltsnob

Post by notaquiltsnob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 pm

ipquilter, I would use a 80/20 polyester/cotton batting. It is very thin, but not nearly as heavy as a cotton batting like Warm & Natural. Just for your info, it is Eleanor's favorite batting.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:54 pm

You have worked your A*&% off on a beautiful top that has taken you TWO years. DO NOT use a sheet to back it!!! Sheets are great for a weekend quilt, you have a freaking masterpiece! Order a batik backing or another top quality backing, the top deserves it and so do you. Use Superior threads or something close. Buy a TOL batt, like Hobbs Heirloom, because it is an heirloom. I swear I don't mean to sound crass, I swear. I just admire that you have produced a beauty that took you 2 years, way to go girl!!! Can't wait to see pics! Amie :o)

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanx so much y'all! notaquiltsnob: I've used the 80/20 alot and like it. That may just be the way to go. Oasis: I agree. The patterns are fascinating. About getting lost in the middle-I started in the middle and worked my way to the outside. I'm going to try to get one of my resident computer geeks-aka teenagers-to help take a pic and post it soon.
Sherry

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

Aime-Thank you so much! I am probly gonna use the 80/20. As for backing fabric it'll probly be a batik or hand-dye from my LQS. You're absolutely right-it is an heirloom for my DS#1. He's as tickled about piecing being finished as I am!

ipquilter

Post by ipquilter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Oh yeah--I was thinking of using a sheet instead of batting. There was never any question about using TOL fabric for the back! :)

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”