Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How do you sew 45 degree diamonds together so they lay flat?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
sewbug

Re: How do you sew 45 degree diamonds together so they lay flat?

Post by sewbug » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:51 am

I was thinking maybe if you ironed the cut diamonds on freezer paper and then sewed them together it may work to keep them flat. At least the fabric won't stretch or move on you.

Rita1

Post by Rita1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Oh, FINALLY a success!!! I got my diamonds to lay flat at last and with no puckering. I was mending a seam in one of my daughter's shirts on my serger. Which brought me to the idea of maybe trying to see if I could do the diamonds on that machine instead. I had to adjust to only using a 3 thread serge stitch, and adjust the tension like Cathy had said to do as well. It's rather hard to get them under the foot of the machine for it's a longer foot than your regular sewing machine feet. And also it was a lot easier to sew them together using gardenquilter's suggestion on sewing the 2 halves together. That was just extremely helpful and I think it also saved me on time as well. For I now have 2 place mats that are ready to be quilted. And 2 more to do. Thank you, thank you,everyone, from the bottom of my heart for all your ideas as to how to get these to lay flat. I also want to thank whoever put this forum together, for it sure is very nice to actually have a place to go on the net to get help on just, and only, sewing issues such as I had. This is just an excellent excellent forum. Thank you, thank you, everyone. rita1

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:34 pm

Rita I am so glad that you got it all worked out! I am just happy that you joined us and know you will enjoy it here. We try to help one another, laugh, tease, share, pray for, cry, and are just like 1 lg family. So now that you are 1 of us, let us hear from you often. Have you had a chance to visit the Gen Discussion area and the photo are? Jump in on any or all dicussions. Again, happy oyu found a solution.

Cathy

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:43 am

rita I am so glad that you got this worked out hope you tune in and chime in often

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”