Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How do you sew 45 degree diamonds together so they lay flat?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Rita1

How do you sew 45 degree diamonds together so they lay flat?

Post by Rita1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:38 am

I have tried several times to sew these 45 degree diamond shaped fabric pieces together, and each time they turn out all puckery and will not lay flat at all. What am I doing wrong? Or is there a trick to accomplish this? For I'm getting pretty frustrated. Thank you for any ideas or suggestions you can give me.

gardenquilter

Re: How do you sew 45 degree diamonds together so they lay flat?

Post by gardenquilter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:32 am

do you already have all the diamonds cut out - and what are you making - I ask because it may make a difference in the instruction you receive

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 pm

Maybe the stitches are too tight? I've made 2 Lemoyne Star quilts and I really had to be careful about the stitching not being too tight or my diamonds puckered.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:35 pm

McCall's Quilting had a pattern,"Diamond in the Rough" using 60 degree diamonds. I got those cut, but there were no instructions on 30 degree diamonds, so the quilt hasn't been pieced. I even emailed the editor, but she couldn't help me either. Good luck on yours, there's more info on 45 degree than 60 degree. Amie :o)

BarbieJean

Post by BarbieJean » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Rita1. I am from Omro also.

Rita1

Post by Rita1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Yes I do have all the diamonds cut out for this project. I'm trying to make these place mats that resemble like poinsettia. They also have triangle and square pieces that go in between the out side points when the diamonds are all sewn together to more or less create like a 12" quilt square block would be. For one block it consists of 8 diamond shapes, 4 triangles, and 4 squares. I so far have made 8 of these and not a one so far has turned out where as it will lay flat without puckering. My fabric I'm using for this is all cotton. Unless I cut them out of the fabric wrong. But would it really matter grains whys cause there 45 degree angles. I would tend to think that should not matter cause there all on angles right? For I have my heart set on making these for my daughter that loves poinsettias for Christmas. Thank you for any info you may have that may help my situation.

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 am

Have you thought about redesigning it using half square triangles?

If you use fabric that does not have a direction print on it, some patterns can be changed. Look at this carpenter wheel from quilters cache. They've redesigned it using half square triangles instead of diamonds.

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/Carpente ... Block.html

Maybe putting the design on graph paper. Is there a picture of this pattern that we can look at?

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 am

I asked if you already had them cut out because when I do diamonds if i can I will sew strips together and then cut on 45 angle giving me a head start - also sometimes instead of sewing my rows across i sew on the diagonal it makes things like this fit together a little easier - I hope that makes sense

i read an article in the past week about thread and it recommend using a thinner 2 ply thread for piecing and a little longer stitch to reduce bulk in a project like this

something else to consider when putting them together sew them together so that you have two groups of 4 or half the star then sew the halves together it is easier if you can go through the middle than having to deal with all the little indepedant seams

hopes this helps

not sure if my instruction is clear

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:24 am

I was going to do a seminole border, had my strips all sewn and instead of cutting them straight up and down, I mistakenly cut them at an angle like gardenquilter said and was surprised at how nice the diamond shapes turned out. Then did like she said, sew together by twos then half to half. Sometimes mistakes can give good results.

Evie. . .I try to look at all difficult looking patterns as half sq. triangles to see if it can be done. However, now I don't have to figure out the carpenters wheel. Thanks for the tip about the website! I really like the "Borders" section.

Rita. . .sorry I really don't know how to help you other then try it like quiltcreator said. Welcome to the forum, I have learned so much from these wonderful quilters and have seen some really beautiful quilting.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:08 am

Rita: Have you tried hand piecing them? Pressing the seams open?

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”