Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

applique using fushible interfacing

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
joann

applique using fushible interfacing

Post by joann » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I ordered the Grandmothers Flower Garden fusible kit. I am doing the applique by machine. But I'm having a bit of a problem. The fusible interfacing peeks outside the edges after sewing. Just curious if anyone has this problem. If so, how did you solve? I've only completed two blocks and both are not as neat as I want. I'm not starting anymore until I have a solution. Perhaps I'm not sewing close enough to the edge.

Thanks,
Joann

Evie

Re: applique using fushible interfacing

Post by Evie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Joann, check out this post:

http://www.quiltinaday.com/community/to ... topic=1593

We are doing a Block of the Month (BOM) on QIAD Egg Money Quilts. The first block is Grandmothers Flower Garden.

I did not use the fusible kit. I traced mine from the pattern in the back of the book. But I imagine it's the same size. I fingered pressed as well as I could towards the edge of each layer. Then when I pressed it with the iron, I pressed towards the edges first starting with the largest petal layer, then fused the middle one pressing towards the edge. Then the last one.

I still wasn't happy with the way it looked, so I then did the blanket stitch on my sewing machine around each hexagon to make them looked like they were individually pieced.

We have pictures posted so take a look. Mine are all the way at the bottom of the post. The first set without the blanket stitch. The next picture up from that is my Batik one where I went around it with the blanket stitch.

Take your time and read through all the comments. If you still have questions, post them on that thread since several people are on it.

Good luck. And welcome to the forum. It's not too late to join the BOM. Also, there are several swaps going on and another round robin starting up. You are more than welcome to join in the fun.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Joann, I have watched Eleanor use her wooden iron after she turns her applique inside out. She presses the fabric with the wooden iron from the middle out toward the edges until the white interfacing doesn't show and then she uses her real iron to press the pieces to the background. If you don't have a wooden iron you might try a wooden spoon from your kitchen or a regular spoon. Hope this helps.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:22 am

Im with cindy g press with wooden iron or a spoon I still use a spoon almost as much as the wooden iron the spoon slides over the fabric more easily

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”