Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Does any one tie their quilts

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
mcmema

Does any one tie their quilts

Post by mcmema » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:26 am

I put this question up yesterday but I dont know what happened to it!
guess my puter got hungryLOL
what I was wondering is where do u ladies lay your quilts out to pin the batting together?
I have a problem getting on my knees to pin so im looking for some sugestions.
your input would be greatly appreciated!

cindyg

Re: Does any one tie their quilts

Post by cindyg » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:55 am

Mcmema - I have used the dining room table. I have seen folks here that have used a bed or have gone to their church and put banquet tables together to make a large surface. Hope one of these works for you.

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:07 am

mcmema - your original discussion is in the general category, right now on page 2.

mcmema

Post by mcmema » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 am

quiltcreator. thanks for telling me where it went . I thought i was losing it for a minute/LOL then i just decided to try again!

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:30 pm

No, I do not like the look of a tied quilt

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:31 pm

I go to my church social hall, and put 4 long tables together to baste my quilt

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Check your LQS. I know the shops here will gladly let me use their classrooms to lay out squares and I am sure if I needed to tie a quilt they would go for that as well, as long as they have no classes scheduled. You get to work on your quilt and some socializing with other quilters - it's great!

Rita1

Post by Rita1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:25 am

I have never heard of anyone using tables and things to tie quilts on.I can not imagine how a person could do that and have everything come out even without it being on a frame. All my quilts are pinned and tied with yarn on a quilting frame. Where as all my layers are all spread out and attached to the quilt frame so everything is all even and wrinkle free. And once off the frame it's easier to sew up all the sides.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Rita1, welcome to the Forum. We are a very friendly bunch and look forward to getting to know you better. Please join in on lots of discussions!

Jenny, I always used to use my dining room table to pin and tie my quilts. Now I use my cutting table. It is higher so it saves my back. I tape my backing down first, lay my batting on it and then the top. I safety pin the layers together and then usually stitch in the ditch around a border. Then I tie. The stitching helps hold the whole thing together so I can tie it smoothly.

QuiltLady57

Post by QuiltLady57 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:49 am

I do tie my quilts from time to time. You can use cotton pearle thread or 6 strands of embroidery floss. I can sandwich quilts on the kitchen island if they are small enough or I resort to the kitchen floor.

Have you thought of asking a local church or LQS if you can group some tables together to make your sandwich? Just a thought.

Carin

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”