Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilting a king size double wedding ring quilt on my sewing machine

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
bluegown

quilting a king size double wedding ring quilt on my sewing machine

Post by bluegown » Tue May 29, 2007 12:03 pm

I am making a king size double wedding ring quilt. My thinking is to put a quilt design in the center of each square as I build each square which means it will not show on the back. But is there a way I can do the quilting in some way in sections as I put the squares together so that it will appear on the back. I have been thinking about an in the ditch quilting around the arcs across the quilt & down the quilt (if I am making any sense) It is so expensive to have it machine quilted but unless I can come up with a plan to put it together in sections somehow. I am certainly up for suggestions.

Quiltcreator

Re: quilting a king size double wedding ring quilt on my sewing machine

Post by Quiltcreator » Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 pm

I think it would be well worth the money to have it machine quilted. It certainly would save you a lot of stress, which is what you get when you quilt something that big on your sewing machine!

Evie

Post by Evie » Tue May 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Here's Marti Michell's book:' www.frommarti.com/QIS.html I've tried her method, but I wasn't comfortable with it. You can also find it at Amazon for slightly less.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue May 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Bluegown - the first quilt I ever made was a king size and I quilted it myself on my sewing machine and NEVER AGAIN. I started sending my quilts to the LA quilter and it is well worth the money. You don't even have to baste - just send the LAer your quilt top and batting and backing that is 4" - 6" larger than your top. It is SO worth it. I got my quilts back and put the binding on myself which is easy.

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Wed May 30, 2007 6:08 am

There is a procedure of quilt as you go, I have never used it. I have quilted several over sized (bigger for the new thicker matresses) King size quilts on my machine. I can guarantee you that you will want to send to a long arm quilter or get a frame of your owne. They are alot of weight and you have very little room to move the fabric roll of that size of a quilt. You will need a very large area to catch the fabric as it goes through and it helps to have another table, on the left side, to help with the weight of the quilt. Remember that your entire quilt will be in you lap or over your shoulder quilt often when you quilt on your machine. Just my 2 cents for what ever it is worth. Linda

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 am

You should be able to quilt that in two sections. Check out an older Georgia Bonsteel quilting book....she is the gal that was famous for the "quilt as you go" technique and her books all have the information to quilt a quilt in sections....no matter how many sections you choose to have...the technique is the same. I have done a few like this. It is easier than squeezing the quilt through a small machine, but it is possible and I haven't had any trouble doing a queen size. Your local library may have some of her books. Too much to explain here, but the jist of it is, quilting the sections and then sewing them together by their quilted fronts with a 1/4" seam and then overlapping the backing and hand stitching it.

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu May 31, 2007 11:15 am

I did one similar to Calicopuzzle and I also made sure the batting was even then I whipped stitch the batting together.

Jasinta

Post by Jasinta » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:53 am

I am really interested in making a King Size quilt also, but no way would I be able to quilt it, where can one send them to be quilted? Where to look for a quilter? Thank you for any information.

happymrs

Post by happymrs » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:40 am

I do my bigger quilts in sections, like you are doing smaller quilts, then put them together. You could also do a big block or two, at a time, then sew them together as you go. This way, you can do it yourself, & your quilting will show through on the back too. I love doing this way, as I want to do my quilts entirely myself & also, that way, I have more money to spend on fabric & whatever....

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Jasinta - check with your LQS. They usually have at least one person who quilts for people. Also, there are several people on this forum that quilt for others. Maybe you could ask on a separate post.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”