Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

how to cut 18" strips?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
lizabethjane2

how to cut 18" strips?

Post by lizabethjane2 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:11 am

I was watching Eleanor's video - Quilt Through the Seasons - I LOVE IT - and she was saying that she prefers 18" strips. I believe this was in the segment about the Twin Sisters quilt. I'm confused as to the best way to cut them. Since the quilt pattern has instructions for fat quarters, do you cut the fabric into fat quarters and then 18" strips? Or is she folding the fabric selvage to selvage, then folding in half and cutting a regular strip, which she then cuts into 18" strips?

I'm also unsure as to why she prefers the 18" strips. She mentioned "bowing", I think? So, I guess the area where the fabric is folded when you cut it sometimes results in a distortion?

Thank you!

dforseth

Re: how to cut 18" strips?

Post by dforseth » Mon May 28, 2007 10:18 am

18 inch strips or half strips are easier to work with. "Bowing" is that "cute" little "wibble" you sometimes get when you cut a fabric on the fold. If you work with half strips for Twin Sister Quilt you will get more variety in your squares.

I made that one last year for a graduation gift and LOVED it. I think I want that one for my king size bed.

Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Mon May 28, 2007 2:47 pm

I think what is meant by bowing is when you sew a strip set together and you get the "rainbow" look when you press it. The longer the strips, the more bowing you get. That's why she prefers to work with shorter strips. I guess bowing could also mean the "V" you sometimes get at the fold when you cut strips - this happens if your fabric is not squared up properly. If it does, you have to refold the fabric and square up again. Be sure to check for this after you cut your first strip, because you don't want them all to turn out that way.

lizabethjane2

Post by lizabethjane2 » Mon May 28, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm kind of a new quilter and did not realize that I had to be very careful about squaring up the fabric before cutting. I think I need to be more precise with this. Also, I can see how the longer strips might create bowing, but never thought of it! Thanks for that, too.

So, I'm guessing that cutting the 18" segments is just a matter of cutting the regular strip into 18" segments - yield 2 + a good sized scrap.

Thank you!
Liz

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 am

I would just stack the FQ's and cut the longest edge to make 18 inch strips.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”