Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

to rip or not to rip?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
lizabethjane2

to rip or not to rip?

Post by lizabethjane2 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:22 pm

I just pieced a log cabin. All the squares are together, but the borders aren't on. One of the squares was bigger than the others. (Full disclosure: I didn't check the sizes or square them up. I should never quilt when I'm tired!) I had to stretch the square in the row below the square that was too big when sewing the two rows together. It came together, but now, when I lay the quilt top flat, it billows up a bit where that square is. Of course, it's in the MIDDLE of the quilt where I'd have to do a lot of ripping to get it out. This is a quilt for charity and it will be layered together with ties. Will this look okay when finished and tied or do I need to rip? Ugh.

Thanks for your help . . .

Quiltcreator

Re: to rip or not to rip?

Post by Quiltcreator » Sun May 27, 2007 4:49 pm

If it's only a slight "billow" I wouldn't rip it. As the old timers would say, "It will quilt out." And it probably will.

LadyThimble

Post by LadyThimble » Mon May 28, 2007 2:16 am

If it looks like it is too "billow", I would rip it out. It will be one of those things that will get you up in the middle of the night. Least ways that is what happens to me when I know there is a slight problem in a project.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Mon May 28, 2007 8:40 am

I would rip it out and make it right if it was a flaw a non quilter could spot. This quilt could become a treasured possession to someone.

lizabethjane2

Post by lizabethjane2 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:31 am

Many thanks to each of you for your response. They all helped me decide. I think I have a slight billow in another place on the quilt - I'm going to leave that one. But the one in the middle I'm going to rip out. I've made Eleanor's log cabin 3 times now and I KNOW I'm supposed to check the sizes of the squares. Why do we quilt when we're tired??? :)

Bless you
Liz

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”