Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

handquilting

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
maryewood

handquilting

Post by maryewood » Sun May 27, 2007 4:16 am

Show or tell me how to embed my thread in quilt while I am starting and how when ending my lenth of thread.

Evie

Re: handquilting

Post by Evie » Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 am

I'm not a hand quilter, but I wanted to say "Welcome"!

Are you in Oklahoma? There are several quilters here from OK.

Someone will pop in soon and give you an answer. But, I'm seem to remember seeing this on Simply Quilts a while back. Can't remember how they did it.

Evie

Post by Evie » Sun May 27, 2007 5:32 am

The first link is to Simply Quilts Tips and Techniques. The second is to tip Quilting by Hand. Hope you find your answer in one of these links.

www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_tips/0,17 ... 07,00.html

www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_tips/arti ... 75,00.html

Susie

Post by Susie » Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 am

Different people do it differently but here is how I do it.
I start with making a knot in my thread. I then put the needle into the fabric kind of sideways about an inch from where I want to start the quilting. Don't go through the backing fabric just through the top fabric and batting and give it a tug until you feel that knot pop through the fabric. It is now embedded in the batting. Make your quilt stitches.
When finishing a line of stitches I wrap my thread around my needle about three times, stick my needle into the top and batting again (like at first), slide that wrapped thread down and pull it tight with your needle tip, then pop it through sideways like before and come out about an inch away. There are some real good books you can get at your library with pictures. I hope I haven't confused you, it is difficult to write out instructions! Good luck to you!
Susie

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Sun May 27, 2007 5:57 pm

Hello & Welcome Maryewood! Another fellow Okie. I am in Yukon. I start & stop the same way as Susie described. One little helpful tip I learned was that if the knot doesn't want to go through the front of the quilt, push down on the knot with your fingernail while tugging it through. Make any sense? It helps it pop right through the fabric.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”