Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HAND QUILTING/How do you move from one block to somewhere else on your quilt while hand stitching?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
1quiltinnana

HAND QUILTING/How do you move from one block to somewhere else on your quilt while hand stitching?

Post by 1quiltinnana » Sat May 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Can someone explain in basic language how to travel with your needle and thread from one block of quilt to another when hand quilting to prevent having to end at the last stitch and re-thread the needle and start all over?

sewbug

Re: HAND QUILTING/How do you move from one block to somewhere else on your quilt while hand stitching?

Post by sewbug » Sat May 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Well, I just bury my needle in the batting stitch, and bring the needle out where I want to restart. If I have to go far, I bring the needle up and go right back in the same spot and make another stitch hidden in the batting. It's called traveling in most quilt books. Some say don't travel more than a few inches. I don't see where it makes much difference as long a the last stitch is secured before you start traveling. Hope this helps you some.

Cathy32078

Re: HAND QUILTING/How do you move from one block to somewhere else on your quilt while hand stitching?

Post by Cathy32078 » Sat May 19, 2007 5:17 pm

I do the same as Sewbug. I couldn't think of the word earlier but it is "traveling". lol Beats ending and starting back up.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Mon May 21, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks sewbug for tip. Very helpful. I will try "traveling" method now. Thanks....quiltinnana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon May 21, 2007 5:19 am

Take a look on HGTV. They have a section called simply quilts with videos. I didn't have time to look, but they might have instruction video on hand quilting. I've saw some shows when it was on tv. Good luck. If you have a LQS in the area, go in and ask them to show you. They are usually very helpful.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”