Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

applique a heart

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
littlesnips

applique a heart

Post by littlesnips » Mon May 14, 2007 1:53 pm

I like to hand applique. I can do well at this with no threads showing. I like to add things to the quilt in this way. I struggle with hearts. The mountains will look good while the valley looks like a storm has blown through.

I have practiced doing one after another and still have not mastered it. Do they ever look smooth?

jquilts

Re: applique a heart

Post by jquilts » Tue May 15, 2007 6:27 am

The way I do hearts is to use a fabric sheet cut the same size as the heart, put right sides together. Stitch on the machine a 1/4", then make a 1 inch cut with my scissors on the fabric sheet side, turn insideout, wet fingertips and work around to get a perfectly shaped heart. Already to do the rest in hand applique to the finished project.
Don't use a new fabric sheet, only one that has been used :)

littlesnips

Re: applique a heart

Post by littlesnips » Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Thank you. I will give this a try soon.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”