Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Prewashing fabric

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
quiltingangel

Prewashing fabric

Post by quiltingangel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:30 am

Can anyone tell me how to avoid the raveling when you prewash fabric?
Thank you all.

cindyg

Re: Prewashing fabric

Post by cindyg » Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am

Yep, use pinking shears and cut off 1/8" on both ends.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I wish I had read this about 2 hours ago will give it a shot in the am

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri May 18, 2007 3:15 pm

i read in a quilting magazine (i thnk) that use the safety pins and ever little bit seems like it was every 12 inches or so use the safety pins you would use if your were pinning your batting to top and back of quilt put pins in it the way it was folded selvage to selvage and its not suppose to ravel as much and it helps keep it folded kinda the way it was bought off the bolt and its not so out of shape i did try this and it helped a good bit hope i explained it well enough that you understand what i am trying to say if i need to explain it a little better email me and i will try to clarify it a little ollie1shoe

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri May 18, 2007 3:40 pm

How about just washing it in a pillowcase (tied shut) or a mesh laundry bag? You could put one of those color catchers in with it in case some of the dye runs.

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Sun May 20, 2007 7:53 pm

I bought a rotary cutter that pinks the edges,it worked well. I don't think I will cut FQs without it anymore. I usually buy at least a yard and always pre-wash so strings were a big part of my reality before I even made a stitch. This is now one of my favorite things!!
Happy stitching!!
Debi

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”