Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Photo quilts/wallhangings

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
quiltingangel

Photo quilts/wallhangings

Post by quiltingangel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 am

I want to make a photo wall hanging for my daughter. Can anyone give me some hints on how to do this? Are there any books or web sites that have good directions?
Thanking you in advance.

chefpiggy

Re: Photo quilts/wallhangings

Post by chefpiggy » Mon May 14, 2007 10:00 am

quiltingangel,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but on today's episode of Simply Quilts on DIY, they were showing how to make quilts from a photo. One example that they had hanging up in the back was a quilt done from the Mona Lisa. If that is what you had in mind, then you can go to www.diynet.com and look up Simply quilts. Then find today's episode. Once you get to that episode, it will show you the resources that were used, including the book that was highlighted in the show.

Hope that helps :)

Nancy

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 am

Thanks, Nancy. I will check out that web site. What I am hoping to do is to take pictures of my daughter's family and copy them and make them into a wall hanging. Will let you know how it goes.
Thank you

Tapdancetutu

Post by Tapdancetutu » Fri May 18, 2007 4:52 am

quiltingangel

I have done several different quilts with pictures. My very first quilt was family pictures in an attic windows pattern for my mom's 60th birthday. I also did a memory quilt for my daughter of her starring role in her ballet recital her junior year in high school of Alice in Wonderland. I found "alice" theme material, printed pictures of all the girls pictures in their character and printed the pictures as described below and appliqued them randomly to depict the story.

My technique: I use pictures from my digital camera or scanned to my pc. I then use good quality picture fabric that can be washed. Using a jet ink type printer, not laserjet, you print your pictures to the size you want using regular paper settings for your printer. Trim the prints to size needed for 1/4 inch seams and sew into your project.

Hope this helps you.

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 am

Where would you find picture fabric. I have never seen it.

Brenda

Tapdancetutu

Post by Tapdancetutu » Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 am

Joann's has some - different brands. You have to read the info - be sure it's actually fabric and washable. Hobby Lobby and quilt shops have it too. I've used June Tailor's brand. My next project I will try Printed Treasures - I think it is better quality. Also Electric Quilt has a brand and on their website.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Fri May 18, 2007 7:27 am

The Mona Lisa quilt is one way of doing a full photo quilt as chefpiggy mentioned. I have the product and looks fun but have not had the time to try it yet.

However, if you are wanting to print out a photo to use as a block in a quilt. . .check out PHOTO FUN by Cyndy Lyle Rymer at C&T publishing.
The website is www.ctpub.com/searchproducts.cfm product
# 10381. This book is a lot of fun and tells you how to prepare your own fabric for copying photos and other suggestions for printing on fabric.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri May 18, 2007 9:13 am

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Fri May 18, 2007 9:43 am

Someone showed a quilt with pictures on it at show and tell at my quilt guild meeting last night and it looked real nice.

There are just so many things for a new quilter to try that it is somewhat overwhelming LOL.

Brenda

BarbieJean

Post by BarbieJean » Fri May 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Any classes I have taken have all recommended the Printed Treasures brand. The better the quality of your pictures, the sharper they will reporduce on the fabric

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”