Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

'roly poly circus' redwork

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
naniyosie

'roly poly circus' redwork

Post by naniyosie » Sun May 13, 2007 2:13 pm

I embroidered (hand) 20 block in the roly poly circus pattern.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to quilt the redwork blocks?

ollie1shoe

Re: 'roly poly circus' redwork

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri May 18, 2007 4:35 am

no sorry i cant be any help on quilting it i saw one quilted but i cant remember where i saw it. where did you find your pattern? if i remember where i saw it i will let you know seems like it was on simply quilts program but just cant remember ollie1shoe

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Fri May 18, 2007 5:17 am

Are you going to hand quilt or by machine?

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri May 18, 2007 5:57 am

That's a great question. I have a customer quilt to quilt and all the blocks are hand embroidered, the are also 17" square(nightmare). When I quilt these hand embroidered blocks, I try to stay off the needlework. That's tough, but I want the handwork to show and not the quilting. I try to quilt it so that the handwork is the star and not the quilting. There's a time to showoff my skills, but not on those block, no way. Pantos won't work. I custom quilt them and do not quilt over the top of the handwork. I use a ruler and QuarterMaster foot and draw an 1/4 arc around the handwork and just quilt in the space. Meander is OK as long as you don't touch the handwork. This "handwork" quilt is the third one I've done and will be the last, it's just too nerve wrecking,lol! Amie

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri May 18, 2007 5:59 am

If you can afford it, having it handquilted would be better. But, it's super expensive. Amie

grammy

Post by grammy » Fri May 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Why not do 1 line of 'echo quilting' around the outer edge of the redwork design in each block? What kind of batting will be used and how far apart does the batting mfg recommend quilting s/b?

I did a redwork wallhanging a while back of a gal sewing. Just did straight line quilting on like a 60 degree angle and stopped 1/4" out from the redwork. Looks nice.

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 am

thanks for all of the information. The roly poly circus was a block of the month at our guild. I don't know where the woman got the patterns. I have decided to quilt in a 'hatch' design on the blocks. Don't know what I'm going to do on the borders yet. Maybe 'balloons'. The quilt will be for a 'baby gift' to a cousin.

naniyosie

Post by naniyosie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 pm

the roly poly circus is FINISHED. Label and pix for scrapbook too.
Now off to the po to mail to my cousin. YIPEEEEEE.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”