Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Anyone do paper piecing?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
sewbug

Anyone do paper piecing?

Post by sewbug » Fri May 11, 2007 2:57 am

I took a class to learn to paper piece and I found I enjoy it a lot. The June/July issue of Quiltmaker magazine has the cutest cat face on the cover, all paper pieced. It's a little more complicated then I usually do but it's too cute not to try.

quilter78

Re: Anyone do paper piecing?

Post by quilter78 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 am

I did just one, for I wanted to try it.. It was a wall hanging of tulips. It was fun to do and plan on doing another. I have it on my wall and look at it often. I thought it was good but noticed I cut off the tops on some of the tulips. Know better and will be more careful next time. Just a little, not much.. ha ha

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri May 11, 2007 4:52 am

I've tried a few randow blocks. I like how precise the block come out. I never done a whole quilt that way. Would like to try a cat pattern I have someday.
Lori 8-)

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Fri May 11, 2007 6:33 am

I have done paper piecing also. It is alot of fun once you get the hang of it.

mic-pa

Post by mic-pa » Fri May 11, 2007 8:20 am

I love paper pc'ing and have made a whole quilt doing it. I am about to embark on a wall hanging with a dragonfly, lilypad, and fish on it. Just purchased all the batiks this morning to do it. Took a class with Carol Doak and I was hooked. I saw the cat pattern you are all talking about and it has many pieces to it. But Good Luck in doing it. I had a friend who started to do a wallhanging and she forgot to leave 1/4 in. on the edge for her seam so part of it was cut off when she finished. Hard lesson learned. Marge

ksomeit

Post by ksomeit » Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 am

I have done paper piecng on about four quilts.
Hope you enjoy it.

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Fri May 11, 2007 11:23 am

I just started paper piecing and love the book that comes with the CD you can change the sizes of the blocks then print them out....Carol Doaks book and I use her paper too.

Quiltaholicim

Post by Quiltaholicim » Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm

I purchased Carol Doaks book of 300 patterns with the cd and I was hooked. Love to paper piece and the way all blocks are perfect. Five of us started 'Countrylane Quilters' and each year we make a quilt and give to our hometown homecoming to earn money selling chances. We are in the process of making Carol Doaks Ohio Star into a quilt for this project. We are using the new water soluible paper but none of us could get it to print in our printers like it says it will. So we traced the patterns on. Lots easier than tearing the paper away.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat May 12, 2007 8:38 am

there is also another fabulos book 365 foundation quilt blocks
by linda causee

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Sat May 12, 2007 9:03 am

I found a good paper to use. It's from Staples and it comes in a pack of three pads 100 pages to a pad so there is 300 pages for about $4. The name is Roselle Kid's Scribble Pad, it's in the crayon section. I have to trim off 1/2 inch but it prints great, tears away easy, I don't have to pick it out of the seams. There is a Roselle Kid's Drawing Pad, I haven't tried that paper yet.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”