Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Puckering when quilting

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
quiltingangel

Puckering when quilting

Post by quiltingangel » Mon May 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi To ALL,
I have just finished trying to quilt 2 lap quilts and both times I am getting some puckering. I tape down my backing, than layer the batting and than the top. I pin using lots of pins. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks to all you wonderful quilters who are so willing to offer suggestions and help.

lhostelley

Re: Puckering when quilting

Post by lhostelley » Mon May 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Just a couple of questions!
Are you hand quilting or machine quilting?
How are you basting your quilt?

mic-pa

Post by mic-pa » Tue May 08, 2007 2:51 am

when I machine quilt, if that is the way you are doing it. I start with the block in the middle and quilt it. Then I take it offthe machine turn it over and smooth out the next area (block) that I am going to quilt and continue in that way until it is done. It is time consuming but by taking it off the machine and smoothing the back each time you should not have a problem. Are you using the walking foot (sometimes called the even feed foot) It takes practice. good luck Marge

Krazy4Quiltz

Post by Krazy4Quiltz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:54 am

I quilt most of my quilts on my sewing machine, even the large ones. If you take the time to do the basting correctly (all three layers smooth and taut)and resist pulling or stretching while quilting, you should be able to do a nice job. Also, if you hold the quilt up and off of the machine bed (I rest it on my shoulder), there shouldn't be any twisting with the long rows of stitches.

The ideal is to have your machine flush with the table, preferably a large one but, we're not all that lucky! and, even with that, you still have to support the bulk of your quilt in the front to keep it from pulling on your needle. It really does get easier with practice!

I think the most effective method of keeping your quilt taut is to use the large clips you find in an office supply store, and use lots of them! and secure your quilt to a tabletop.

You can raise the height of your table and save your back by slipping (premeasured and precut) lengths of PVC pipe over your table legs.

Thanks for letting me share!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:47 am

if you are machine quilting are you starting in the middle and working out

what is puckering the entire 3 layers or just one layer - if it is all three layers may be where you are starting if it is the top layer it may be out of square of may have stretch you can usually work it out in the quilting wiht a little maniputlation of the fabric

quilterliz

Post by quilterliz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:50 am

Have you tried the spray basting?

SHARONMAMAW

Post by SHARONMAMAW » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:03 am

WHEN THE MATERIAL IS GOING UNDER THE MACHINE NEEDLE, PUT YOUR HANDS IN A TRIANGLE SHAPE; (POINTY FINGERS AND THUMBS). HOLD FABRIC TAUNT AND GUIDE MATERIAL UNDER NEEDLE. THIS SHOULD STOP ANY PUCKERING.

I DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT THIS WORKS FOR ME.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:51 am

how are you coming with this

Hazel51

Post by Hazel51 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Are you using a walking foot

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:24 am

I'm wondering about the batting you're using. I recently learned that the kind that is all or mostly polyester often tends to shift and/or bunch up and that can create puckering. It's been recommended to me to use at least 80/20 cotton/poly if not 100 cotton such as Warm and Natural.

Also, are you using a long enough stitch, like a 3.0? You might even consider easing your top tension ever so slightly. Best of luck to you!

Quilty regards,

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”