Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

log cabin quilts

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
iquilt76542

log cabin quilts

Post by iquilt76542 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:06 am

i am trying to think of a way to do a memory quilt for a friend made from the log cabin design that is nice for her parents that are deceased anyone have any ideas

CindyB

Re: log cabin quilts

Post by CindyB » Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 am

Iquilt - welcome to the Boards.

How about using a picture on fabric for the center square? You can make the center square any size you want, and can have pictures.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 07, 2007 10:28 am

I saw one recently where she had taken not only pictures and put in the center but also had found places where the deceased had signed book, bibles, and written notes, she scanned those into the computer and printed them out on fabric and inserted them, she also included a piece of hand embrodery from one lady, a bow tie and a name badge
it was wonderful

quilter78

Post by quilter78 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:48 am

I think pictures would be great.. My sister in law has on her wall pictures of her parents starting out with their wedding picture, then each new child, and special gathering.. kind of like a journal. I thought that would be a nice way to make a quilt.. On the other side of the wall she has my brothers family.. and in the same order.. You could even print the year underneath the pictures. A nice memory quilt.My sister in law made one similar to that of her family and it is a wall hanging.. Just a idea........

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Fri May 11, 2007 6:38 am

Make the center of the log cabin larger and it will work fine. The number of photos or other memory items are limited to the number of blocks you plan to make this way. What size were you planning on making? My friend had wanted one queen size, so we reduced the # of logs around the center to allow her more photo space. It turned out beautiful.

wdbequilter

Post by wdbequilter » Fri May 11, 2007 3:22 pm

there was a pattern was done on qnn miss part that showed who the author etc I it was using regular photos that could be replace/updated did anyone see this or who the author of it is

Holon

Post by Holon » Fri May 11, 2007 5:05 pm

What I have done with my memory quilts is just take the photos and fabric down to a T-shirt shop and they put the photos on the fabric for me!

iquilt76542

Post by iquilt76542 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:41 am

thanks for all the suggestion i will let you know how it turned out

Half-Pint

Post by Half-Pint » Sat May 12, 2007 12:55 pm

I made a quilt for my granddaughter when she graduated from the 8th grade. It consisted of pictures of her at various ages in her young life. She was thrilled with it, and one of her neighbors thought it was beautiful but I, as usual, could think of nothing but the corners that didn't quite match. I didn't think it was so great.

Evie

Post by Evie » Sat May 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Half-Pint, I saw your name and it reminded of Little House on the Prairie, where Pa would call Laura "Half-Pint."

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”