Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Hanging a quilt and/or wall hanging

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
quiltingangel

Hanging a quilt and/or wall hanging

Post by quiltingangel » Sat May 05, 2007 7:43 am

Hi Everyone,
First I want to thank everyone who has helped me with my binding.
Can anyone help me with instructions on how to put the hanger on the back of a project?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Tiggersmom

Re: Hanging a quilt and/or wall hanging

Post by Tiggersmom » Sat May 05, 2007 2:12 pm

quiltingangel are you talking about the 'sleeve' that goes on the top of the quilt back for the rod to go through????? or are you wanting several 'tabs' spaced out to put a rod through?

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Sun May 06, 2007 8:11 am

To clarify my previous questing regarding hanging quilts/wall hangings. I am talking about the sleeve to put on the back of quilts or wall hangings.

Evie

Post by Evie » Sun May 06, 2007 9:00 am

Here are two websites with instructions and illustrations:

quilts.com/IQA/quiltsleeves.htm

quilting.about.com/od/decoratingwithquilts/ss/quilt_sleeve.htm

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am

I made a wall hanging for my sister and she went to bed bath and beyond and bught a decorative rod with rings, to which clips were attached. very pretty, matched her metal decor and no extra sewing for me!

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Mon May 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Cut a strip of fabric that is two inches shorter than your measured width of your wall quilt by 9" wide. Hem the short ends with a 1/2" hem, by folding over 1/4" and then 1/4" again. Stitch close to the hemmed edge. Fold the sleeve in half lengthwise, with the WRONG sides of the fabric together and stitch with a 1/2" seam. Press the seam open making sure the open seam is running right down the middle of the sleeve. Lay the sleeve against the back of your wall quilt with the pressed seam down. (Make sure you have it at the top edge) Center the sleeve and place it just below the edge of your binding. Pin it in place, and hand stitch along both of the long folded edges and the ends. Make sure each stitch catches a small amount of the batting so as not to put strain on the back of the quilt when hanging.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”