Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Free Motion Quilting

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
niteowl

Free Motion Quilting

Post by niteowl » Sat May 05, 2007 5:23 am

I am making my first landscape quilt and am not sure what to do first. The background of the quilt is all water and I am fusing embellishments such as birds, grasses, dragonflys, etc. and am not sure wheather to free motion quilt the water first before fusing the embellishments on and then quilting around them. Any suggestions? Niteowl

gardenquilter

Re: Free Motion Quilting

Post by gardenquilter » Sat May 05, 2007 1:58 pm

I usually fuse first on my landscape quilts that why I get a tight seal, also by doing that I can catch any little edges that don't want to behave, most of my landscape quilts I do with invisible thread that way I can mimic the pattern and the quilting becomes like a perfect necklace and earings to compliment that outfit not overwhelm it kinda says hello i'm quilted

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Sat May 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Niteowl, embellishments go on AFTER! I have chipped buttons and I could Swear I never got near them! You also take a chance of breaking a needle and screwing up your tension, etc.

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon May 07, 2007 5:29 am

are your embellishments hard or soft I assumed when you said you were fusing it was something like cut out of fabric of the birds, dragonflys and grasses, are the fabric or other if they are other than fabric tiggersmom is sooooooooooooooo right.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”