Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Breaking thread

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
IowaGal

Breaking thread

Post by IowaGal » Thu May 03, 2007 1:57 am

I ma having a heck of a time machine quilting a top using variagated thread both top and bottom. I am using my regular machine, which I always do, and a darning foot. My top tension is set to -2, and no matter whether I go fast or slow, my top thread keeps shredding/breaking. The feed dogs are down as well. I am using a brand new #14 quilting needle. What is my problem?

dforseth

Re: Breaking thread

Post by dforseth » Thu May 03, 2007 3:22 am

Is the thread catching on something? Does the spool have a "nick" to hold the thread, if so turn the spool to where that is not on the top or front depending on how your machine threads. I hope you solve your problem soon.

Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Thu May 03, 2007 3:43 am

have you used this thread before maybe it is old try putting it in the freezer, but first check to see if it is snagging on something, have you tried turning the spool upside down or setting it beside your machine

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu May 03, 2007 6:50 am

I was just at the quilt store and couldn't help but ease drop on a lady who brought her sewing machine for repair. The gentleman who helped her told her that cheap thread like Coats and Clark will really mess up. That you need a good quality thread like mettler (sp?)

Maybe this is your problem. Sulky is also a good thread.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Thu May 03, 2007 8:58 am

Oh, I never thought of C&C as being cheap thread - but I can see that it might be, esp. when it's a little old...I've been lurking here on this thread, about thread, and now I think I'll rethink thread!

Did that make sense??

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 am

CindyB, for some reason I keep thinking "Cyclone"! LOL

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Fri May 04, 2007 1:59 am

Iowagal, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but does your machine need servicing? When the bobbin case is making a little "tack-tack-tack" noise, or I am getting ooky-lookin' stitches, I know it's time to get the baby in for a checkup. I have an older machine that runs great if I keep it in good repair.

I like Guttermann's thread and that is all I use anymore. No skipped stitches, ever. I also like Schmetz needles for quilting; really makes a difference...just make sure you don't load them backwards (like I did a few weeks ago--duh!)

Carole

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 am

I found with my el cheapo machine (Wal-Mart, but I love it and am getting to know it better, that helps) that when I'm machine quilting I need to clean out all the "fluff" from down under the throat plate - I use my brush, then compressed air to loosen up any that the brush won't reach, then brush again. I had to do that several times on a large (king-sized) quilt I was quilting, and it made a huge difference!

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Fri May 04, 2007 6:09 am

Have you ever tried Sewer's Aid? It's a little bottle of silicone stuff that you squeeze directly onto your spool of thread (2 or 3 "lines" of it) and helps the thread go more smoothly thru the needle. I use it on the longarm all the time.
A word of caution about the compressed air: I've read that you shouldn't use it to clean your bobbin area because it blows the lint directly into the works of your machine instead of out of there. I've never used it, so don't know from experience.

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 am

I've been thinking about using the vacuum cleaner. It sucks air out instead of in. Has anyone done this yet?

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”