Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

finishing a binding

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
needlenoise

Re: finishing a binding

Post by needlenoise » Thu May 17, 2007 10:35 am

Evie - that was WONDERFUL! Do you have any other video/links like that quilt related? A picture is worth a thousand words..........

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 pm

quilterliz

Post by quilterliz » Thu May 17, 2007 4:13 pm

The hint to the open fold is to take tiny stitches by hand and invisibly tack them down.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:11 am

Thanks so much QuiltCreator.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:15 am

Spicer07....someone taught me a fantastic way to finish off bindings. I just hope I can explain it. If you cut your original binding strips at 2.5", when you finish attaching the binding to the quilt you overlap (leaving lots of wiggle room) the two ends so that the overlap measure 2.5". Cut the two ends. Then turn the ends so that they are right sides together and sew at an angle. I always pin first to make sure I have them going the right way. 9 times out of 10 it comes out perfect and lays very flat. Then you just finish attaching the binding the the quilt. Hope this makes sense.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Fri May 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Grammy65....that is the method I explained down on 5/5...I think I used too many words, but yes, it is the easiest method because it is easy to remember to overlap the width of the binding....no matter what size binding. The formula is EASY.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:07 am

Hi Calicopuzzle...After I sent that message I re-read the messages and realized it was the same way you explained. It's really hard to explain without pictures. I'm just now getting to the point where I can do it without thinking too hard. It sure makes a nice finish though.

Quiltcreator....received the instructions yesterday. I guess I misunderstood as that is exactly the way I do it. I think I was thinking there might be an easier way to make the mitered binding corners using the 4 strips of binding. For some reason I just can't get that down. There is even a special tool, but this old brain will not cooperate. Thank you so much for sending the instructions though. I guess I thought maybe there was a new way of doing it without having the 4 strips.

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sat May 19, 2007 6:35 am

grammy, I don't use 4 strips. You're talking about when you do all the sides separately, right? You join all your strips into one big long strip with the diagonal seams (like I showed you in the diagram) and then miter the corners, as I hope the instructions & diagrams show. You start in the center of one side of the quilt (arrange it all around the quilt before you sew - that way you don't have a seam falling at a corner) and just keep sewing until you get to a corner, then pivot & sew diagonally out to the corner, backstitch & cut your thread. Then you fold the binding as the diagram shows (up & back down) and continue sewing. Is that clear as mud? Please, if you have any more questions, ask - this is an easy way to do it, promise.

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi Quiltcreator. I do my binding just like you. I misunderstood and thought it was directions for the other kind of binding that uses 4 strips....but thought maybe you had a way that didn't use the 4 strips. It's quite a bit wider than the normal binding. Like I said, I just can't seem to get the hang of it, and I keep looking for really good directions on how to do it that way (with the 4 strips). Sorry for the confusion. Binding is my least favorite thing about quilting, and yet I know some people who love to do it. The part I hate most is sewing it on. Guess I'm always afraid I will blow it somehow. Don't mind stitching it on by hand in the back. That is kind of relaxing.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”