Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Free motion quilting problems w bird nesting & thread breakage

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
ember

Free motion quilting problems w bird nesting & thread breakage

Post by ember » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:34 am

I am having problems with thread bunching up on the underside and top thread breaking when I am attempting to do free motion quilting with my Elna sewing machine. It is supposed to adjust the tension automatically. I am lowering the feed dogs and using a top stitching needle. I would love to learn how to stipple, but this is a huge roadblock for me. Help! I would appreciate any suggestions or tips!

Quiltcreator

Re: Free motion quilting problems w bird nesting & thread breakage

Post by Quiltcreator » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:40 am

I have heard lots of people who do free motion quilting on their regular machine say they have this problem. There is a product out called the magic bobbin washer that is supposed to prevent this. I have no idea if it works or not, but you might check it out.

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 am

I had a problem with my invisible thread breaking about every inch or two when doing free motion quilting. I think it was QuiltCreator who told me to try Sulky Polyester invisible thread. I had been using nylon thread. I switched and it didn't break anymore. I was able to get the quilting done in two days.

So, what type of thread are you using?

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:33 am

If you are using invisible thread you may need to loosen the top tension. Good luck!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:40 am

there could be a couple of issues -
1. Make sure you pull the bottom thread up to the top and hold securly for the first couple of stitiches this keeps it from causing a problem on the bottom
2. I had this problem once before and a dear friend told me to check my throat plate I took it off and ran my hand over it and did not feel anything, I ran a knee high stocking over it and had several snags, I bought a new one but then my dh was able to sand it out with a fine grit sand paper.
3. I have a janome and the tension is supposed to adjust automatically but I have had to make adjustments, I learned this after reading more in detail the manual, check yours for free motion
4. If you are using invisible thread the bobbin may be wound to tight sometimes you can only load about half of the bobbin and I have to set my invisible thread in a small baby food jar next to my machine (this was the suggestion of the sewing machine repair man)
5. I usually use a sharp needle the top stitch may be a little overkill
6. I used to always lower the feed dogs then I read an article I can't remember if it was in the quilting quarterly or quilters newsletter about 1 1/2 years ago that suggested not lowering the feed dogs and having more control
hope this all works out let us know

GrandmaChris

Post by GrandmaChris » Tue May 01, 2007 11:04 am

Another thought would be to bypass the last thread guide before the needle hole. Sometimes this will put to much tension on the thread. If you don't or can't lower the feedogs then put you free motion foot on and put the stitch length on zero. This allows you to sew with out lowering the feedogs.Hope this helps.

lhostelley

Post by lhostelley » Thu May 03, 2007 11:01 am

Another common problem that will cause this is if the presser foot is not in the down position. (There is no tension on the thread in the upper position).

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Sat May 05, 2007 3:58 pm

I just bought the Magic Bobbin Washers by Little Genie and really like them. Only thing is to remember they're in the bobbin case when you take the bobbin out, so you don't lose them. I've been using them when straight stitch piecing, as well as free motion.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”