Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Cutting and sewing

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
cindyg

Re: Cutting and sewing

Post by cindyg » Tue May 08, 2007 11:47 am

I learned to baste first, too, but it was on clothing. You could see if it fit correctly and make corrections before putting in the real seam. I have never basted a quilt - pinned when I quilted it myself. Sent larger quilts to LA quilter. Now I have my little quilt frame and machine so basting is not necessary at all which made that quilting machine well worth the money!!!!

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Wed May 09, 2007 10:14 am

Try being left handed!! I have to reverse everything!

Quiltcreator

Post by Quiltcreator » Sun May 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Back to the top for meagsmom.

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Mon May 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi Bailey53,

Does your quilt include triangles or half square triangles (HST's) by any chance? If so, I've been taught to sew those seams with a "scant 1/4" seam - just a threads width difference, but it can make all the difference in the world. With triangles, etc., more fabric is eaten up, so to speak - so it helps to give yourself that extra little leeway.

Also, measuring each unit as you go is the basis for everything else to be the right size. This is where "squaring up" your blocks is SO helpful. Especially since some pattern directions actually have you cut your pieces larger than exact, so that you CAN cut them back to size (squaring up) when each unit is completed.

Pressing incorrectly can cause a bunch of distortion, another reason to check your blocks before sewing them together. Take care when working with triangles on the bias edge, these can stretch, causing distortion also.

I didn't realize how important proper pressing was until I recently enrolled in "Pressing Basics", an online course available at Quilt University. For the first time, my blocks are now accurate, seams are matching and quilting is MUCH less frustrating.

Keep working at it, there's a lot of great advice here for you - and as always, practice, practice.

susannon

Post by susannon » Tue May 15, 2007 12:39 am

Can I add a bit to this discussion, since I am the worst quilter in the world? Until I found Eleanor I was always off, I never had a proper point anywhere on a quilt and my flying geese were constantly deformed. The wonder of her instructions are that you square up after you have sewn and then everything is to size and her rulers, wow!

Also you really need a quarter inch foot, it makes all the difference, as does spray starch, especially for bias edges. Be careful on pressing, it is not ironing! I really hate that 'scant' quarter inch, what does that mean? Either it is a quarter inch or it is not!! Square up, people, square up!!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”