Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Confused about NON QUILT IN A DAY

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
shaker0309

Confused about NON QUILT IN A DAY

Post by shaker0309 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:54 am

I made my baby sister a beautiful QIAD bedspread for her wedding. Her daughter is now going off to college and she asked me to make a quilt for her. She knew just what design she wanted. 6 inch blocks accross the top and a borders like the QIAD one on her bed. The pattern calls for 6.6 inch blocks. There is probably a very simple reason why they are not 7 inch. Like 7 inch cut sewn with 1/4 inch seams winds up bigger. Patching experts, can you tell me why this is?

auntjana

Re: Confused about NON QUILT IN A DAY

Post by auntjana » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:18 pm

A 7 inch block - cut size- will finish at 6 1/2 inches, sewn size. Which is close to your question of 6.6. You could measure the block on the finished quilt you have already made and then add back the seam allowances to get what you already know works.

Good luck

Jana

shaker0309

Re: Confused about NON QUILT IN A DAY

Post by shaker0309 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:31 pm

Very helpful. Will proceed at given measure!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”