Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Old quilt hand pieced very fragile-backing?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Hrslvr135

Old quilt hand pieced very fragile-backing?

Post by Hrslvr135 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:55 am

I have an old, old quilt top from my grandmother. It was hand pieced, hexagons, rather loosely, and is very fragile. I want to finish it off but wondering if I should continue to hand sew the edging on and what I should use to back it with. Fabric I have is newer and I'm afraid it would be so much more sturdy it would not be good for the top. I think I will just use flannel to sandwich instead of batting.

What's the general consensus to use for edging? Regular fabric and hand sew it or will machine sewing be ok? I wanted to quilt it then, too.

rosebud3

Re: Old quilt hand pieced very fragile-backing?

Post by rosebud3 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:17 pm

My suggestion would be to contact customer service and ask them if they could get you some input from El about this.

Also you may want to go over to the sew in thread and ask over there as that is where you will find most people posting daily.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors to complete your quilt.

Mary/Rosebud

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”